5,000 lbs of Oak and a nice State Trooper.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice story and good pics, Kent. My first impression was similar to the trooper's: those blocks look awful heavy. I'd have ripped most of them in half before tossing them into the truck.

A little unrelated, but I notice your lawn is greening up pretty nice. When do you guys start mowing down there?

In NJ, you'll only get pulled over if you double the speed limit or have an out of state plate. Never any loading issues with my pickup. And even when you get pulled over, you just hand em a PBA card or FOP card anyway, and you're back on your way. How many people know what those are? :msp_wink:

PBA=Police Benevolent Association

FOP=Faternal Order of Police

yup I might have a one or two of those myself :cool2:

227340d1330872476-dscn0321-jpg
View attachment 227340
Stock 98.5 green douglas fir.
Maybe a chip some fat injectors and modded trans.
Been a decent truck, works hard.

Last edited:
Up here the wrong cop (read provincial pc) would have fined you for an unsecure load, asked you where you got the firewood (read thinks stolen), and want to see proof of ownership of the saws (refer to wood ref.)!

227340d1330872476-dscn0321-jpg
View attachment 227340
Stock 98.5 green douglas fir.
Maybe a chip some fat injectors and modded trans.
Been a decent truck, works hard.

I didn't think it was stock with the bumper shaded a little black and the larger exhaust under there. I've had several cummins in all generations turned up a little to a lot.:D

I know many a NC Trooper and every one of em grew up a burnin wood. Im not surprised at all he didnt mess with ya.

Several years ago (let's see had the new house with no wood heat since 2004) I was cleaning out my wood stack and hauled a load of cut, split, and seasoned Doug Fir from Tacoma to my folks down in Oregon. I was working swingshift, so had loaded the truck during the day, went to work, then took off right after I got home around 1 am, got there about 7 am (300 mile drive).

My '93 Dodge Cummins is Ext cab, 8' bed dualie, with the hand shaker, and air bags on the back. It's got a fueltank/toolbox across the front of the bed so I loose that space when loaded.

The load was cab high, rounded and interlocked, to just behind the wheelwells, hten tapered down to 12" over the tailgate at the back. I figured roughly a full cord, my dad said maybe 3/4 cord without seeing it. I left the house with 75 gallons of #1 in the tanks, a 3 day bag of clothes and a 45 pound dog. When I hit Cottage Grove, Oregon I decided to have breakfast, then went out and hit the logging scales just out of town (They hadn't opened for the day yet, so...).

Scaled weight after burning off approximetely 15 gallones of fuel (roughly 102 pounds) I scaled at 11,385, truck GVWR is 10,300 so I was just a little over... . Truck sat level, rear tires showed slight load (gotta love load range E dualies), and it drove like it was empty but rode MUCH better. BTW, truck full of fuel, same basic stuff but no load scales right around 6,800... Cummins motor adds some weight!!

When I unloaded and stacked the fir at the 'rents (tight stacked, not open loose) it measured out to 1 1/4 cords!!! if I had't had the tool box tank and cut down 5th wheel tailgate I'd have probably had 1.5 cords on...

As I sold off my wood that winter (had over 20 cords cut, split, stacked, and dried for personal use at one point) I set up posts to make sure my "customers" got a fair cord delivered. Hated to get rid of it, but with no wood stove in the house it would have just sat out there and rotted, and it was taking up a LOT of space...

Last edited:
That truck hardly 'looks' loaded! Like others have said.....the bumper isn't dragging! You must have some HD springs under there! It would be interesting to see a pic of the springs with that load!

They would have a hay day with my truck (85 Dodge 1 ton)! I better get the tail lights fixed.......and put current tags on......(expired last month but hasn't seen the road much since then)

227297d1330825522-wood1-jpg

227298-truck1-jpg

ManyHobbies,
Here are the pics of the rear springs you wanted. These pics are with the truck still loaded.

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 227363
View attachment 227364

Nice story and good pics, Kent. My first impression was similar to the trooper's: those blocks look awful heavy. I'd have ripped most of them in half before tossing them into the truck.

A little unrelated, but I notice your lawn is greening up pretty nice. When do you guys start mowing down there?

This year the winter has been very mild so most people will start to mow in a couple weeks. Even with a hard winter you usually have in start mowing the 1st of April.

I haven't mowed my yard in 3 years. My neighbor has a big Zero turn he loves to run so out of the goodness of my heart I let him mow my grass and pick up my leaves in the fall. Gives me more time to mess with saws.

After cutting this Oak today I was going home and I came upon a NC Highway Patrol License check. In NC the Highway Patrol runs the DOT scales also. I thought I will have to make payments on this fine. Even though I had enough tag (13,000 lbs) I figured they would still say the truck is overloaded. I rolled up to the check point and the trooper was really checking the load of wood out.
The trooper said: What you been doing bossman?
I said cutting alittle firewood.
He said : You load these big blocks by yourself?
I said: Yes, do you want to see my license?
He said : Sure do.
He looked at my license and said: Thank you and drive safe, still looking at the wood.
I felt like saying : Aren't you going to arrest me?
I was amazed he didn't care about my tag weight or the trucks GVW.
I stopped at a truck stop on the way home and weighed the truck, it weighed
11,820 without my 200lbs in it. The truck weighs 6800 lbs empty so thats 5,000 lbs of Qak
in the bed.

It was a fun day running the 390xp and my 372xp. I haven't run the 372xp in a couple years because all the Oaks I've been cutting lately were 385/390/395 size. It was fun to cut a small one for a change. Hope ya like the pics, cut safe.
Kent:cheers:

attachment.php

attachment.php
View attachment 227297

View attachment 227298

Dumb question. How does a truck that small haul 5000 lb without the suspension and drive train falling apart?;)

The drive train on those trucks is over built quite a bit. I've use them to haul tractors, cattle, and hay with them around the 500 hp mark.

If that had been a CT DOT he'd have put you on the scale. They are BRUTAL down there, Ive been stopped on rt 84 3 times. Once in my pickup and twice in the company trucks. In Mass its not as bad I had a load of 3/4" stone in my Dads 2500 chevy with a dump insert. I think the GVW on the truck is just under 9000lbs. When I got weighed out I was at 10,800. It has overload springs but the DOT doesn't give a $h!t about that. Nice haul and saws!:msp_thumbup:

rough guess of 35 rounds equals an average of 142lbs per round. mmmmm

I have had some heavy loads in my 04.5 cummins, 9000lbs rear axle weight with 95lbs of air in rear bags going over loveland pass (I was over on tire and axle weight.) I also had a gcvw of 32,700 delivering some recyled asphalt in my tandem dual goosneck dump trailer (25,900 gvw of trailer, and not over any axle weights.)

The autos are good after you spend $5k or more on building them right.

That's a nice load. In my neck of the woods of Alaska we don't have hardwoods, so the wood is a lot lighter. That would be a small load here, but I wonder how the weight of a big softwood load would work out.
Kinda makes you wonder about the 1/2 ton truck out there hauling firewood doesn't it?:laugh:

Nice haul!

Speaking of vehicles that can really haul stuff, a deuce and a half can haul... 2.5 ton version hauls a lot, but the 5 ton hauls even more.

I missed a 2.5 ton for 1475 on cl two days ago. :blob2: Whoever got that one got a real good deal. I know of a 5 ton 6x6 that has been fully refurbed, painted, fresh tires and all... but you gotta fork out 11,500 for it.

That's a nice load. In my neck of the woods of Alaska we don't have hardwoods, so the wood is a lot lighter. That would be a small load here, but I wonder how the weight of a big softwood load would work out.
Kinda makes you wonder about the 1/2 ton truck out there hauling firewood doesn't it?:laugh:

Yeah... I knew a guy in high school that beat the ever living #### out of his 1/2 ton 4x4 Chevy 1500... he broke all kinds of stuff on that truck, including the front cv axles. It was not uncommon to see his truck sitting in the parking lot squatting like a bear ####ting in the woods...

If it had hubs I would agree, but the vacuum crap isnt bullet proof.

Mine has been,

other than changing a few suspension components over the years.

How many years experience do you have with these trucks?

Latest posts

Back