5 foot diameter oak for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o8f150

Tree Freak
Reaction score
dhibbs75 and i finally took that big oak down,, here is the pics from it,,also have a vid of it coming down,,he used his solo 603 with a 36 inch bar,,,ENJOY,,have more pics on a reply

001-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

and the aftermath,,finally on the ground,,,ii forgot,,,the wrecker was there to cable to it to make sure it went the right way,,as soon as the vid is ready i will download it

010.jpg

011.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

Awesome ! As a guy who was in the towing industry over 20 yrs .......... I can really appreciate your means of ensuring it would only fall one way. That tree is a monster.......... how many cord will you have? 8 ....... 9 cord?

here is the video,,,it did make a bit of noise when it hit

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oAPcAnHcLKQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oAPcAnHcLKQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Awesome ! As a guy who was in the towing industry over 20 yrs .......... I can really appreciate your means of ensuring it would only fall one way. That tree is a monster.......... how many cord will you have? 8 ....... 9 cord?

we don't know yet,,,i figure roughly 6

How many tree rings did it have? I'm very curious. Also, could you post a pic of a tape measure on the stump? If not, that's ok. I'm more interested in the rings. Thanks.

why you take down such a nice live tree? seems to be a waste

we know that,,we didn't want to either,,but the home owner wanted it down because it was to close to the house,,he doesn't like trees that close to the house,,at 1 time the field was full of oaks bigger then the 1 we took down

oak tree

That is a big tree for sure, I was curious why you did not use the "Humbolt Notch" to help bring it down as the trees hinge hesitation can be a big issue otherwise.

I am just glad everything went well for all concerned in any case.:chainsawguy:

Last edited:
we know that,,we didn't want to either,,but the home owner wanted it down because it was to close to the house,,he doesn't like trees that close to the house,,at 1 time the field was full of oaks bigger then the 1 we took down

LOL. I'll bet he's also breeding orcs in a pit somewhere on his property.

Nice work! That was a really nice tree, and was probably a mistake for the HO to remove, but it's their choice.

Funny thing - looking at the video, the first thing I notice is what looks like a stick propping up the tree. WTF? Took a sec to realize it was just something in the foreground. Why are they propping that tree up? :laugh:

Beautiful Oak

I think it is too bad the Old Oak had to go. But I am like that homeowner I don't want a tree close to the house or my shop building either.

We get too many wind storms and ice storms in my area and it is not uncommon for limbs to come down on homes, carports and parked cars.

It was a beautiful old tree.

Nosmo

it was a beautiful tree all right,,had no rot in it,,we hated to see it come down,,,,,,the so called prop was the guide cable for the pole i was standing next to,,,,i didn't notice either until i got home and saw the video :):)

Latest posts

Back