$50 husky 480CD MINE !!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just going off of some posted technical information I found a while back on this website:

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...d8d083a8d741e3db88256c9b00780d89?OpenDocument

Who knows how accurate the information is?

I really don't know the actual weights and really don't care much.

I'm into real world performance, and always do my best to post useable and accurate information, even if, at times, it isn't well digested by a few brand loyalists. I'm truely sorry, if/when this happens.

Everything I've stated about the 480CD is spot on for accuracy as far as user level stuff goes, if I'm off a few ounces on the weight and/or power ratings, etc, sorry about that.

What I can tell you for certain, is that I've owned our 480CD now for 30 years, and it cuts today as good as the day it was purchased. From my recent experiences with a Poulan 330 (supposedly one of their better models, only recently made available from 2007 production runs), I found it to be a tempermental saw, only OK in power production, and I smoked the lower end on one in less than a half dozen tanks of fuel!

Rest assured gentlemen, the saw was tuned to perfection, plenty of Premium 40 to 1 2 cycle mix in premium pump fuel, etc, etc. After batting O for 3 with those units, I guess I'm just cursed and will never own one?....LOL......Cliff

Looking at the muffler it looks pretty restricted for that size motor..
anybody tried modding one ?
can anything be done to the cylinder ?
ANYway to get it to behave like a 77CC saw should ??
tnx

It sure doesn't sound restricted! That dude sounds very sweeeet, and has a nice cackle at idle.

Are these the same power plant as the Poulan 475, just on the bigger chassis?

There was a thread 3 or 4 weels back that had a Poulan 475 in some stuff out West.

Made me want a 475 real bad!
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v693/theman42/?action=view&current=albion.flv

Last edited:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
I got a 480CD last year from a guy at work and restored it.Very good saw that holds up to anything but heavy and slow compared to todays saws.I now have a ported 371XP that I am very happy with.
attachment.php

Man those huskies sure are heavy for the amount of power they have. My poulan 245A is 74cc weighing in at 13lbs. It also laughs at a 24'' bar and is a 1980 chainsaw. And your 4.8 HP 262 is heavier than my 6.0 HP (before the MM) MS460 weighing in at 14.6lbs. Just going off of your #'s here Cliff. If they were my #'s I sure would'nt be too proud of them.:givebeer:

You can't compare estimated weights with bar and chain to empty PHO weights, and specs aren't allways accurate.....:greenchainsaw::greenchainsaw:

The true PHO weight of the 262xp is 12.8lbs.

sweet modded 475

Guess these engines are not the same, They say the 475 Poulan is the same as the Jonsered 2077.

Sweet saw non the less, I would think 3x what you paid would still be a deal to crow about!

Last edited:
Just going off of some posted technical information I found a while back on this website:

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...d8d083a8d741e3db88256c9b00780d89?OpenDocument

Who knows how accurate the information is?

I really don't know the actual weights and really don't care much.

I'm into real world performance, and always do my best to post useable and accurate information, even if, at times, it isn't well digested by a few brand loyalists. I'm truely sorry, if/when this happens.

Everything I've stated about the 480CD is spot on for accuracy as far as user level stuff goes, if I'm off a few ounces on the weight and/or power ratings, etc, sorry about that.

What I can tell you for certain, is that I've owned our 480CD now for 30 years, and it cuts today as good as the day it was purchased. From my recent experiences with a Poulan 330 (supposedly one of their better models, only recently made available from 2007 production runs), I found it to be a tempermental saw, only OK in power production, and I smoked the lower end on one in less than a half dozen tanks of fuel!

Rest assured gentlemen, the saw was tuned to perfection, plenty of Premium 40 to 1 2 cycle mix in premium pump fuel, etc, etc. After batting O for 3 with those units, I guess I'm just cursed and will never own one?....LOL......Cliff

Just ruffling your feathers Cliff. I know the 262 is'nt 15lbs. It's one of the best saws ever built as far as power to weight goes.
I own a 330 but never ever claimed that it is one of the best poulans. It feels nothing like a 306/245, 4200/5400 in my hands what so ever. As far as later model poulans at least the 330 has some pro features and not just a pile of green or yellow plastic.:cheers:

No problem here, just trying to post some info on a 480CD, since I bought mine new and have been using it every year since 1980. Not too many folks out there will have put as much time as I have on one. I like mine, but use it less and less as the big trees have long disappeared from these parts. I still run it at every opportunity. I still can't believe it runs as good as the day it was purchased, and has never had to have any major repairs done, or parts replaced other than a kill switch about 2 weeks ago!

Yep, the 262 is a great saw, it should be sporting the larger mount for the same bars as the bigger saws, otherwise, difficult to find fault with it.

I tried my best to have a Poulan as part of the line-up here, it would have been nice to see an American product running against some of these other saws...it just wasn't meant to be. Never had any luck with American chicks either, married a German gal!......Cliff

Last edited:
Husqvarna 480 bar size

I'm looking at buying one of these but it has a 30" bar on it, is that too big? if it's been running with a 30 on it is that hurting it, should i not buy it? i'm looking for one 28" or bigger

I'm looking at buying one of these but it has a 30" bar on it, is that too big? if it's been running with a 30 on it is that hurting it, should i not buy it? i'm looking for one 28" or bigger

If it is an actual 480 that would be a lot of bar for 77cc. That much bar does not have to hurt anything it just ends up being a fussing about power through the cut. The person using the saw is what would have or could have caused any damage.

It is an old model with very limited parts available and if you are looking for a saw to put a lot of hours on it is probably not the right choice.

The starters and side covers from many different sizes of that series of Husqvarna swapped out so it can be hard to say for sure what model they are from just the labels. My 1100CD has a 77cc p/c on it instead of the 100cc.

I run a 20" bar on my 480 for most cutting. It's really well suited to that bar length. It pulls a 24" OK, but nothing overly impressive, I just consider it acceptable. A 28" or 30" bar in material that big would be pushing it a bit, but I'm sure it would get the job done if you aren't in a big hurry......Cliff

my boss is giving me his old 480 and all im gonna be using it for is cuttin large hemlock and pine mostly. would a 28" bar and 404 chain be to much???

my boss is giving me his old 480 and all im gonna be using it for is cuttin large hemlock and pine mostly. would a 28" bar and 404 chain be to much???

You would probably get away with it if you use skip chain, but 3/8" pitch would be better on a 28". Either way I think that would be max for the old 480. They're good saws.....I have a 480 and my first Husky was a 180.....Really tough saws!

Back