50" Oak V`s Stihl 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Beech

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Following on from the help I had here, thought I would post up my first real outing with the 090.
I had this real nasty knuckle head of a tree to fell for a friend of mine.
was riddled with wire nails, staples more wire and more nails! would of been worth more as scrap value rather than log value!.
films takes a little while to load, as its 11min in total.
not sure if this will link to it or be in line on here.

thanks for looking at my first job with the 090 and first video too

simon

50" Oak

sounds like the saw part went great simon, bet it was a good feeling having that power reserve! Hope you charged for your chains must've been a nightmare with all that metal. That video tells me I need a plugin, but doesn't provide details...

Very nice Simon, it's running very well. Must've been nice to do that tree from only one side! You certainly need a bigger sprocket though, or drop the rakers a fair bit - it was constantly hitting the limiter! Or maybe move the vane a bit so it's set a bit higher, maybe 8500?

Nice saw, and you've got it well tuned too. You could have made that a little less work for yourself by sawing more lean into that barrel. A deeper face needs a lot less effort to pull over. That tree could have used about a 50% face cut.

Shaun

Nice saw, and you've got it well tuned too. You could have made that a little less work for yourself by sawing more lean into that barrel. A deeper face needs a lot less effort to pull over. That tree could have used about a 50% face cut.

Shaun

The reason it looks hard going was I left a thicker hinge on the hedge side of the tree. firstly because of the back lean to the left which you cant really tell from these pictures or video and secondly (will post a pic) is the severe buttress decay on the start side of the tree so that was left thicker as a precaution as I needed more hold on that side of the tree for the fell.

Harry,

I have not looked actually. will have a look when back at the yard next.
the saw was great to have that extra grunt, I certainly would not of been amused doing a two and half x guidebar cut on that :msp_sad:

Thanks for posting, that looked like a fun job to tackle. It's hard to judge a saw's tune on these computer speakers. We had one vote for bumping the limiter, another vote for perfect, and I thought it sounded rich, so go figure. I'd never seen an 090 video. What Bob and Randy say about them definitely appears true

Thanks for posting, that looked like a fun job to tackle. It's hard to judge a saw's tune on these computer speakers. We had one vote for bumping the limiter, another vote for perfect, and I thought it sounded rich, so go figure. I'd never seen an 090 video. What Bob and Randy say about them definitely appears true

Fun Job. ummmm. only because I was using my new toy :msp_smile: not for any other reason with that amount of iron present!!!!

tuning saws is a new thing for me, but its still running so hasn't died yet. from the initial logging we did richen it slightly. I don't know if by running on aspen fuel the plug colour is slightly lighter, so we went on the side of safety.

thanks,

simon

I have found that my plug color will always be on the lighter side with a good tune. Yours sounds rich, but that bar was very little load on an 090.
Good bit of firewood there.

Back