500i and the MDG-1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ran the 500i for a few hours and enjoyed it. The obvious down side is to clear any error codes, run factory resets or if you ever change any electrical componentary, it must be plugged in - you’re at the mercy of stihl, if they decide to update and outdate software, parts etc. This isn’t the case with any of their other saws. It got me thinking about what access stihl allow for those who aren’t dealers. I asked my local dealer what the MDG-1 cost and if you need a dealer log in here in Australia.

This was their response. It’s a shame, just like John Deere and the right to repair act.

This is of Feb 2024 and in Australia, YMMV

IMG_5313.jpeg

Sthil waited something like 7 or 8 years after introducing a fuel injected chop or demo saw to do a chainsaw one. Last I looked there were about 5 sizes of demo saws and only 1 fuel injected one. Husqvarna filed patents for a fuel injected chainsaw and chop saw a few years ago with the injector in the crankcase and strato porting for some reason they are not bringing it to market. The Stihl here is not stratified charge and you state you like the way it runs. (edit: enjoyed it) Can you comment on how it runs versus the mtronic/autotune ones with the pockets in the side of the piston?

I look at it like this. You have created a saw with fuel injection. You must have parameters that will keep it tuned but not blow up.
I would want those parameters to be saved to guarantee it through warranty and beyond. Giving everyone the ability to change those parameters is asking for trouble.
It can still be repaired. It can adjust itself. If all other parts are good (just like any other saw), mission accomplished.
But I know, human nature is to make it RUN Better. Until it doesn't.
Run it and make wood. That is what it is for.

I don't know about you, but if I buy a product I want to own the product, not lease it, not have Over-The-Air updates reduce the performance, not get locked out of my purchase, not get nannied by corporate. If I break it so what, that's my doing.

Yeah, I want to be able to tune my saw, not be told by corporate it's $3,000 for the data module and the software now requires a dealer license--that's what John Deere is getting sued for (Right To Repair).

I'm a STIHL fan, but not a fan of STIHL's policy revision on fuel-injected saws.

I fired up the software. My existing installation. It looks to be working fine. I am not a dealer.

I did not connect a saw to check the full functionality. No time. I can try that on Monday.

I tried the SDS download site. It is still possible to download the software.

I did not try uninstalling the software and reinstalling it. I am too cautious for that. So I cannot say whether new software installations are locked down.

PXL_20240217_183645425.jpg

I haven’t tried mine, but I helped a fellow on here get started with his last week. He’s up and running, so i think it’s safe to say it’s not locked down here. The first time I tried to buy an MDG1 the sale was cancelled when the tech there objected. I went elsewhere and bought it the next day at another Stihl dealer.
I certainly could understand your apprehension considering what your dealer has told you, but, I believe there is much disinformation within the Stihl dealer network. I know Australia is a big place but if you encounter a Stihl dealer in your travels, stop and ask about one. You may get pleasantly surprised.

Your dealer just has no idea. If he were to look, he would see that it’s available for sale with a viable part number.

And all it allows you to do is a little bit of troubleshooting and it has some testing procedures to help figure some things out. As far as changing parameters and outside users messing with Stihl’s proprietary info, there’s none of that. It tells you if the settings are within parameters, and if not, It’s up to you to find out what is wrong so that you can get it back into those parameters. There are no settings that can be changed, there are no fuel values to change, no ignition timing to change, no fuel mapping to change, or anything like that.

I should add that, it was the Magnuson – Moss act that prevents manufacturers from using proprietary service tools. Maybe the Magnuson-Moss act doesn’t apply in Australia

Latest posts

Back