55 rancher flywheel alignment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the woolfe man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi

I have just rebuilt a 55 rancher.I put the flywheel on( the key was sheared )so I put it on where I thought it was sheared of in the flywheel. I placed marks on flywheel and crankshaft to align. Pulled starter a few times with choke on and it popped so i though great I'll start with choke open once again it crackled slightly beauty getting fuel good stuff.
Than after this nothing pulled and pulled and pulled squirt a little fuel down pulled and pulled nothing no go.Took starter cover of looked at alignment marks flywheel still in same position.(For those of you wondering i only put flywheel on and tightened nut just to get the saw started i will fix shear up latter.)

I'm sure this is a flywheel problem I have checked everything else.

My question is how do i find out how to place the flywheel in the correct position on the crank.?
Okay lets say there wasn't even a shear mark how do you align the flywheel up.
Where should the piston be?where should the flywheel be in relation to piston and coil?

I'd do what you did before....align your marks, tighten it down, pull the spark plug and clean it, blow out the cylinder with air, re-assemble and give 'er a pull. Should fire right up!

Ain't flood it did ya?
Thinking may have.
Haha I was fixing another saw the other day new piston carb clean etc.Ran a few tanks through it.Anyways gets out the other day to trial some more timber for speed.It would start and run rough for about 30secs than die out.Pulled and pulled started again than died.Mmmm I thought not getting enough fuel must be something going on in the carby blockage or something .Straight into the shed straight to the carby getting ready to unscrew ,than I had a brain wave check the fuel tank and low and behold hahah no fuel.Iv gotten so used to going to what I'm used to when fixing saws and forget the obvious.

All good thanks guys the saw just needed a little lie down for the night.Than a choke than a quick start with throttle half open.Had to use string seeing choke don't hold it in half.All tuned and ready to cut tomorrow.

low and behold hahah no fuel.

I think anybody who has been working on saws for very long has had this happen. I've done it more than once. So far since I started working on saws for other people I have had 3 come back for service warranty. One was a legitimate error on my part...fixed it no charge with a humble apology to the customer. The other two saws would not start. Both times I poured gas in them (right in front of the customer) pulled the rope, pulled the rope, pop pop, choke off, pulled the rope WAAAAHHHMMMMM..BMM..BMMMMM..BMMM..BMMM......BMMBMM.....BMM....BMMBMM.BMM!! Ran like brand new!
Poor guys were soooo embarrassed. Took me a bit to convince them it was okay....happens to everybody.... all good!!!

haha that reminds me one day a mate said come on round i have two cheapo saws i got from work today (he work in a like a warehouse building supplies etc depo)
I said what happened do you know much about the saws? why the customers sent them back?well iv heard that one customer could not get this one to run properly.And the other one the customer said the saw stopped after about 40 minutes i said is that it?it stopped after 40 minutes.I laughed and said hahah it probably ran out of fuel.The other one probably needs a tune.
So I opened the fuel cap and yep you guessed it no fuel.Filled it up gave it some pulls probably 3 i cant remember but yep it went haha. Than the other saw all it needed was a tune.
I guess people are better at other things.I can think of many a thing I'm not good at but hey I still laugh.

haha that reminds me one day a mate said come on round i have two cheapo saws i got from work today (he work in a like a warehouse building supplies etc depo)
I said what happened do you know much about the saws? why the customers sent them back?well iv heard that one customer could not get this one to run properly.And the other one the customer said the saw stopped after about 40 minutes i said is that it?it stopped after 40 minutes.I laughed and said hahah it probably ran out of fuel.The other one probably needs a tune.
So I opened the fuel cap and yep you guessed it no fuel.Filled it up gave it some pulls probably 3 i cant remember but yep it went haha. Than the other saw all it needed was a tune.
I guess people are better at other things.I can think of many a thing I'm not good at but hey I still laugh.
My 55 likes it when you try to start on choke. When you hear it try to start just turn choke off completely. One more pull it goes. Try that with yours. It's likely to like that too

Yeah a few weeks ago I got a new saw that ran great, but when I went to actually cut my logs it stated then died. Took the carb off two times and ordered a new carb kit. One of the flaps in the pumper part of the carb looked a little wrinkled. So after that was replaced still no go. After much frustration and a whole day of screwing around with it I finally decided it must be deeper. The compression release was loose and now fires first pull. Thanks

Back