55 rancher muffler mod question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigplow

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
if I just remove the baffles will that help performance any or just make it louder the exit hole is real close to my brake handle it does not look like I have much room to open it up and still keep my deflector has anybody done one one a 55 and if so have any pics to help me through this

thanks

If the Baffle is completely removed ,the single Outlet will melt your clutch cover.If you add a couple more ports about 1/2" each you'll be ok.Although I wouldn't remove the Baffle.

I agree with Jughead here. Just enlarge the existing openings in the baffle. It will get a little louder, but you should get a worthwhile boost in the power. Don't forget to retune the carb afterwards.

Went through this with the 51 that I bought a few years back.It still has no baffle in it.Almost no back pressure.Running at Idle is Affected.I have the Idle Adjuster cranked in to hold the Butterfly Open just a tad bit more in the carb.I know it isn't the Aftermarket Meteor 55 Cylinder because It's pushing over 165 PSI.Just as soon as I find a Baffle it's going to get drilled and installed.The saw had Plenty of Power with just the stock Muffler but holy moley it really woke up with the added ports in the muffler front.All of the power is at the top of the rpm range though and has nothing at the bottom to Mid range.I'm sure this will come back up with an opened up baffle.:msp_thumbup:I'm still going to open up the Ports some this winter and play with a Stihl 028 Piston and a Possible base gasket delete.:dizzy: Done added the big Loop starter handle.Got tired of knocking my knuckles off from the Kick back.:rock:

Back