55 rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burchie70

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’ve been looking for answers on this problem for years and have never got a fix to the problem. My 55 is a 2003 and i didn’t have any issues with it till 4-5 years later. Since then the bar oil just runs right out of it through the oiler. I’ve tried loosing the oil cap to release the pressure after running it but it doesn’t help. I just recently tore the saw down and cleaned it all up. I took the oiler out and the lower seal with the filter, cleaned everything and blew air through the tank vent which was fine then put it back together and it leaked an ounce of oil in 10 minutes after I shut the saw off. Anyone have an idea how to fix this ? Change all the Oiler parts ? I took it to a Husqvarna dealer years ago and he said he knew exactly how to fix it and the first time I ran the saw when I got it back it drained a ton of oil out of it sitting for a couple days. thanks for any help

the oil pump is sandwiched between 2 rubber seals or bushings. The oil pump or rubber if not seated properly could leak. The tensioner cover is loose? i believe that holds it all tight together. Possibly the oil pump shaft is so worn oil is leaking by but i doubt that. also the saw will oil the bar just idling...so might be accumulating and then dripping afterwards

It didn’t leak the first 5 years I owned it but I’m not saying that’s not it. When I put it back together today I made sure everything lined up. The tension cover is tight but I wonder if I tweak it if it will put more pressure on the rubber seals. Not sure really thanks for the help

Muskokasplitter how do you like your 028 Av super ? I have a 028 wb which runs awesome but have been keeping my eye out for a av super

the 028 super was my first saw, got it from my grandfather. I like it for those reasons alone. It pulls a .325 20" chain no problem. i did a complete rebuild on it a few years ago. i really like the series of saw so my next saw was the 038 super lol.

My wood boss was my fathers saw he bought new in 79-80’ and it’s all original. It has a 3/8 16” chain and cuts pretty good.

Thanks old2stroke that was going to be my next step. I did some research and the tank vent hose is supposed to be straight and at the top of the tank which mine is not. Mine is at the bottom of the tank. DF7BE10F-E096-4F20-AADB-6B39958A0E4A.jpeg

If it is not your vent. On this series of saws they frequently leak out the rubber/ plastic part that is the oil strainer. The square part shrinks and hardens and does not seal the hole. Try putting some sealer around it. I use honda bond or permatex, let it dry before filling it up.

Also I found 2 different service manuals for the 55. One says to fill the pump cylinder with grease and the other one doesn’t say anything about grease? If I fill it with grease does it matter what kind of grease I use ?7089E24B-B3E5-42AD-B9DE-24295BDE747D.jpeg

There is nothing at the end of the tank vent. You have to put the vent end in rear top of the oil tank for avoid oil in vent. The end will be at the highest level of the tank.

I just spray bearing grease on the pump and the chain sprocket needle cage when servicing the chainsaw.

Other than the roll-pin at the bar mount end, there's not supposed to be anything inside the tube. However it is meant to be long enough for the untethered end to not be able to move from the top corner of the tank (i.e.behind the serial tag).

Latest posts

Back