55 wont start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshua mason

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
today i decided to check out my saw and noticed alot of carbon build up around the exhaust port and on the piston. so i decided i would tear into the thing and clean it up. finally got it put back together and now it wont start. i have fire, seems to be getting fuel, at least the plug is wet after a few pulls. is it possible that cleaning the piston and cylinder caused the compression to drop too low. there were a couple of marks on the piston, cylinder looked fine. any suggestions.

thanks josh

couldnt i just buy the piston and rings, the cylinder walls looked fine. can u explain why it ran before and wont now after cleaning everything.

couldnt i just buy the piston and rings, the cylinder walls looked fine. can u explain why it ran before and wont now after cleaning everything.

You can buy just the piston and rings but make sure you buy gaskets as well.You didn't notice a decrease in compression and your absoluty certain you have spark.can you post a pic of the scores in the piston?It sounds like a piston and rings will do it though.

thanks for all the help. i can get the thing to start now. i think it is sucking air. i did not replace the gaskets, they looked fine so i thought i could reuse them. ill be getting the gaskets as soon as i can.

Last edited:
thanks for all the help. i can get the thing to start now. i think it is sucking air. i did not replace the gaskets, they looked fine so i thought i could reuse them. ill be getting the gaskets as soon as i can.
Be sure your intake rubber is well installed,the "lip" could be turned inside the port.Check the tiny one for the pulse too.

Back