550 XP Bar Size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jet47

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought my second 550 XP yesterday morning before work. It came with a 16 inch bar. Arriving at work I promptly took my modded muffler off my old saw and put it on the new one. I have to say, maybe it is my imagination, but the 16 inch bar seemed to out perform the 18 inch bar I used on my first 550 for the last 2 years.
The last time I was this impressed with a saw was when I got rid of my 61 Husky and picked up a 254XP.(at least 25 years ago).
I have said it before and I will say it again, Husqvarna hit a home run with the 550.

A 16" will mostly outperform an 18" one - everything else being the same. However, with how much, and if it matters, will depend on a lot of factors.

There really is only one way to find out what the change does to you, for your use.....

I use a light weight, that is laminate bar on my 2253. It is suppose to be 20" but is closer to 18". I like the extra reach. Gage is .325, a little smoother than 3/8.

Style and color, fancy paint, decals, and a big bar supersede any performance or functionality factors,, kinda like shopping for shoes with the misses???

BTW, I would rather pry my teeth out with a rusted butter knife than go shopping!!!!

I run a .325 on it. Probably should try a 3/8 sometime.
While I am loving the 16", I do miss the extra reach the 18" gives me.

I run 3/8 on my 550xp because all my other saws have 3/8 too and that keeps it simple. The smaller saws and top handles have 3/8lp

Way too much bar - should go down to a 14". You need a Wild Thing if you want to run an 18".

Latest posts

Back