550 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you put a 3/8 chain bar & sprocket on a 550 ?
Why would you want to do that ? 3/8 would cut slower . Cant think of a positive in switching .Leave it with the .325 and let her rip !! :)

Get it ported. I have all my chains at 3/8. Not for speed, but because I only need one grinder and I only need one size of files.
Now thats a few good benefits !!

Can you put a 3/8 chain bar & sprocket on a 550 ?

Yes you can. Whether it cuts faster or slower has more to do with the condition of the chain than it does .325 vs 3/8.

If you already have another saw running 3/8 72 drive links, I highly recommend changing your 550xp to do the same. If not, most recommend running .325 chain like Oregon 20LP or the Stihl equivalent.

I have 4 other saws with 3/8 1 size makes it easy to keep up with the files. Plus i hate to file 325 chain .

I switched from .325 18" to 3/8 16'' bar on my 545 and I thought it cut better. Gonna do the same to my 550xp.

I actually prefer .325 (a little smoother bumping the small stuff). But yes, 7t 3/8 vs. 7t .325, the 3/8 is a little quicker (same length bar, same <16 wood).

I am going to do same. Working on going 3/8 .050 on every thing, less inventory on chains, files and Ido not have to switch grinding wheels.

Latest posts

Back