550XP Auto Tune question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duct Tape

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
How much will an auto tune adjust for altitude plus temp/humidity/barometric pressure changes? I have a new 550XP bought at near sea level which has never been used yet and will be started for the first time at 6500' here in dry, and now pretty damn cool, Colorado.

Some here and elsewhere have said it auto adjusts pretty well. The manual seems to indicate pretty much the same, in fact I'm not even sure if the H & L needles are accessible for adjustment. But, I've also been told by a service guy (not local) that I need to do some manual adjustments of the high and low speed carb settings with a tach. Most of my local shops deal mainly in Stihl's. The one Husky shop doesn't do much service and didn't seem to me to have good info.

Thanks for any advice.

Jon

? Not sure it has carb ajudgments. Should have a hidden idle setting. Perhaps that's what he is talking about.
There should be instructions to help setting to extreme changes. That may have changed too though. Someone can help you better.

How much will an auto tune adjust for altitude plus temp/humidity/barometric pressure changes? I have a new 550XP bought at near sea level which has never been used yet and will be started for the first time at 6500' here in dry, and now pretty damn cool, Colorado.

Some here and elsewhere have said it auto adjusts pretty well. The manual seems to indicate pretty much the same, in fact I'm not even sure if the H & L needles are accessible for adjustment. But, I've also been told by a service guy (not local) that I need to do some manual adjustments of the high and low speed carb settings with a tach. Most of my local shops deal mainly in Stihl's. The one Husky shop doesn't do much service and didn't seem to me to have good info.

Thanks for any advice.

Jon

Should be fine. Might take a couple of minutes to adjust it self....taking a few cuts full throttle in decent sized wood will speed up its self adjustment. They actually can adjust around a lot of things....a blessing and a curse. Did you get it from a dealer and does it have the latest firmware?? That does help BTW

Should be fine. Might take a couple of minutes to adjust it self....taking a few cuts full throttle in decent sized wood will speed up its self adjustment. They actually can adjust around a lot of things....a blessing and a curse. Did you get it from a dealer and does it have the latest firmware?? That does help BTW

That's an excellent question. I'll find out.

Wow! That's amazing. I think we max out at 5,500 -6000 at the 49 parallel. I cut mountain pine in the Rockies on Beetle work right at the top of the tree line. Flying in the Helicopter at 8,000, we were way over everything.

There is a good 372 in trading post built buy Mike Lee that has 220 psi
Which would be good for elevation as you lose compression.

Check the manual before going into super high altitudes. I seem to remember there was a limit for AT saws.

I took my Mtronic from 1350 to 4600 feet last winter and it didn't miss a beat.

Thanks. I read it once earlier today, which is what started this question. I don't have it right now, it's in my office, but I don't recall anything about any limits. Will look more closely tomorrow.

Thanks for any advice.

Jon

I run my 550xp and 2252 at our house here in west Evergreen at 8,400ft w/o issue. Beauty of auto tune.

Finding a dealer nearby that can competently work on the AT (firmware updates, etc.) is another story.

Per Husqvarna, "all" altitudes are kosher:
Screenshot_20171107-230928.jpg

Reviewed manual and there's no mention of any altitude limitation.

Seems like manual carb adjustments are not an option, so I'm not clear why it was recommended to me to buy a tach.

From the manual: (below)

Attachments

• IMG_4811.JPG
    IMG_4811.JPG
    461.3 KB · Views: 15
Ok. That's a good excuse. Send it to me and I will run it for you. I can let you know how it cuts. ;) When you get time enjoy that saw.

They normally adjust just fine on their own. That screw is only to be used if it can't figure itself out.

My 550 has been quirky a couple of times, usually when the temp has dropped significantly since the last use. It always figures itself out though. It doesn't like 32:1 though so I always run 40 or 50 to one.

My 562 has been flawless.

Never had hot start issues in summer weather but I do flip the choke on then off to engage high idle when restarting.

That reminder to set the high idle when restarting can save you some headaches. I had a hard time burning it into my brain, but saw starts flawlessly when I follow the proper procedure.

My 555 has only been quirky a few times and it is when the weather goes from hot to cold....kinda falls on it's face for a few seconds and then the AT fixes everything right up and I am off cutting. My experience has been by the time I start, set down, put on gloves the AT has sorted out the carb.

Enjoy that saw.

Back