550XP - is it normal that it gets so hot?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernX

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

I just recently purchased a new 550XP and only had the chance to do some test cuts so far, some limbing and I also tried it in bigger (24") wood. I was surprised, that after each use and some time, most of the parts in touch with the crankcase felt really hot. Basically all the silver metal parts, even the clutch cover. After letting it sit for a while, they were still warmer than the muffler, which really made me wonder. At the Moment I don't have a chance to compare it to another saw. My 365 has an inside clutch, so I guess that's the reason why the cover wont get too warm. I never had a saw with an outside clutch so far, generally I think that's the only thing that I don't like about the 550 so far. Apart form this, it performs great and I'm very happy with it, just a bit worried... Did anyone here ever notice that and if so, is it normal?

Thanks in advance,

Bernie

Hi,

I just recently purchased a new 550XP and only had the chance to do some test cuts so far, some limbing and I also tried it in bigger (24") wood. I was surprised, that after each use and some time, most of the parts in touch with the crankcase felt really hot. Basically all the silver metal parts, even the clutch cover. After letting it sit for a while, they were still warmer than the muffler, which really made me wonder. At the Moment I don't have a chance to compare it to another saw. My 365 has an inside clutch, so I guess that's the reason why the cover wont get too warm. I never had a saw with an outside clutch so far, generally I think that's the only thing that I don't like about the 550 so far. Apart form this, it performs great and I'm very happy with it, just a bit worried... Did anyone here ever notice that and if so, is it normal?

Thanks in advance,

Bernie

Your brake is not on, is it? I have a 346 which has an external clutch like yours, the clutch cover is not hot to the touch, it will eventually get warm, but never as hot as the muffler. The external clutch will actually make the saw run cooler.

It shouldn't get as hot as the muffler, but check the oil feeder, mine split, causing the bar to get hot due to lack of oil, which made everything else hot, but not muffler hot! Assuming you're getting your muffler hot enough to touch-light a cigarette

I don't think it's any of that, the brake isn't on of course and the chain seems to get enough oil (adjustment screw on max for an 18")... It is hot, but not like the muffler. I can still put my hand on it.

I don't think it's any of that, the brake isn't on of course and the chain seems to get enough oil (adjustment screw on max for an 18")... It is hot, but not like the muffler. I can still put my hand on it.

This just sounds like heat transfer from the crankcase. Engines do get warm when they are running. If you can touch it... it's not hot.

Latest posts

Back