550XP Oil Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arb15

Reaction score
I've been chasing this problem for a while on the 2012 saw - purchased in 2013.
Most of the (Jonsered) bar oil now runs behind the bar and out the bottom, but it worked for a few months when new. The chain gets oil, but only a mist comes off the sprocket end when the pump is set for max flow. I noticed the bar tip getting hot when cutting and haven't been able to use the saw since.

I cleaned everything.
I replaced the pump and hose, carefully sealed where the pump seats in the hose assembly and where it enters the oil reservoir with silicone gasket material. That was successful and those areas do not leak.
The bar is a new OEM and the chain is Oregon 20LPX066G.
The hose opening covers the oil hole on the bar.
I tried placing a rubber shim behind the hose to force it against the bar, but that didn't help.

I derailed the chain once by getting a small branch under it. Replaced the bar and chain when that happened, but other than that, it's been taken care of.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Sunfish nailed it - what bar are you using? Are you sure the hole is clean and the rails are clean?

I had a similar problem when I first got my 550. I finally discovered that it was a little bit of fine sawdust that got behind the oil hose outlet. Once I cleaned that out, all was OK. I would remove that shim you put in there - all you're doing is compressing the rubber on the oil hose outlet. It is unnecessary and could cause problems in the future.

I use only 20LPX chain on the 550 and I splurged on 16" and 18" Sugihara bars from Randy and Henry (site sponsors). I much prefer them to the OEM Norwegian bars.

If its throwing a mist you're good
About 2/3 of the oil is escaping between the oil hose and the bar - running back over the pump and out the bottom. Makes a mess immediately.
I used to run it at the middle setting and rarely had more than a couple drops on the floor (coming out the adjustment hole) - it's not the adjustment screw leaking. That would be preferable.

Are you sure the oil hole on the bar lines up with the oil hole on the saw?
I test fit the bar, removed it, and the opening in the oil hose was perfectly aligned with the bar hole as evidenced by the oily impression of the hose opening. I even tried to mis-align it, but couldn't.

Sounds like a bar problem.
The bar is a new "Husqvarna" 16 inch (same as original) and the chain is Oregon 20LPX066G
Doesn't matter what bar I use unfortunately. Tried an Oregon 160SLGK095, but that oil hole is 0.020" further from center line than the OEM bar.
The Oregon hole is clearly NOT entirely covered by the hose opening, though Oregon says it's dimensionally correct.

My 550 doesn't put out a lot of oil either.....how hot is the bar getting
It melted the paint at the sprocket end and discolored the old bar before I noticed. It used to throw drops of oil when I had it set to max flow, but no longer.

Yeah my 545 doesn't oil a lot either. A good mist sounds about right.
I recall that it ran well with a mist, but there wasn't a stream of oil escaping behind the bar back then.

It seems that the hose just doesn't seal against the bar. That's why I bought a new hose and pump. Still have the same problem with the new one.
Thought a shim behind the hose would force it to seal, but didn't work either.

Thank you for your responses !

Back