550xp or 261?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to pick up some parts at a farm store for a field mower today and he had a 261 on the shelf. Since this was the first one I ever had the opportunity to handle of course I picked it up. Now I have yet to run one but have read all the hoopla here on them. Strictly from a "feel" point of view I was unimpressed. I have handled a 550 xp before and must say it sure felt better.

But today, I will hang on to my 346 xp thank you!!:cheers:

Both good saws, tried out both and picked the 550 because I liked the feel better. 261 had a touch more torque in my opinion but felt like a brick in my hands.

The 550 is a better limbing saw more agile, more compact, but if you're bucking
up firewood the 261 has more grunt.

I agree I have a 346 with some small mods and a 261with a mm. It depends on the day I like running them both. I agree the 261 has more torque. But normally my choice is the 346. I think it comparable to a 550...no auto tune but still fun to run. Maybe its because I am saving the arctic 261 for the really cold days.

I prefer the overall feel of Stihls, and much prefer an internal clutch. The 261 beats the 550 in filtration and dawgs. 261's are nice runners stock, but 550's are more impressive to me in stock form. If the M-Tronic makes as much difference on the 261 as it did on the 441, I'd really look hard at that one (although many of the modder's around here de-strato the current 261 to unlock it's potential and it's unknown of that's do-able w' M-Tronic controlling the carby).

Why has nobody made a case for owning BOTH of them? :)

Seriously though, I'm in the same situation...can't decide which one I want.

To my hands, the 550XP feels "racier" and the MS261 feels "tougher". If an M-Tronic version is stronger, the 261C will be a killer little saw (especially if it responds to porting/MM).

To my hands, the 550XP feels "racier" and the MS261 feels "tougher". If an M-Tronic version is stronger, the 261C will be a killer little saw (especially if it responds to porting/MM).

I agree the 261 feels like if could fall out of a tree, or just take the beating of daily abuse by a
tree service better than. The 550 is a scalpel, the 261 is an axe I prefer my tools to be tough first and foremost.

How good can you tune a saw?

If you can tune a saw like some on here can then get the 261 and get it ported.

If you tune a saw like you tune a fish (couldn't help myself):msp_tongue:

If you tune like I do, get the 550xp and get it ported.

:msp_rolleyes:

Excuse me......while I whip this out. :msp_tongue:

[video=youtube;8ej2Umdpu-I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ej2Umdpu-I&feature=c4-overview&list=UUg2yelCeKwB12xIohZfmf1g[/video]

I dont have a 550, and haven't run one, so my comments are based on what I know.

I spent 3 days on a 261/241 pair at a training course they are nice saws, I'd happily own either of them.

However, if you dont care about stihl vs husky -
A 261 feels a lot bulkier than my husky 345 and very close in feel to my husky 359, and not far off my 562.
Both of these run 18" 3/8 with more vigour than a 261.

I know on paper the 261 splits the gap weight wise between the 50cc and 60cc class husky saws, but I found the feel closer to the 60cc husky saws.

just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this now that the 261c-m is available. keeping in mind I will never have the funds to port a saw. just cant justify shipping across the boarder.

Back