550xp stalls after 20 seconds idling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukeduke

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First generation (2014) really love the saw. After a week of use it would quit after idling for 20 seconds or so. Dealer put a new carb on it and has worked good until recently. Now doing the same thing 6 yrs later. Does it need another new carb? Works great when when in use. Has never seen any low grade gas.

Needs to be connected to CST and checked. Could be an air leak, low compression, plugged filter, cracked fuel line or some kind of gummed up in the carb.

Don’t keep running it. I did mine and it cost me a new piston and cylinder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Needs to be connected to CST and checked. Could be an air leak, low compression, plugged filter, cracked fuel line or some kind of gummed up in the carb.

Don’t keep running it. I did mine and it cost me a new piston and cylinder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yeah, I should have it checked out, it's been 6 years since it's been looked at.

If it's slowing down and stopping you have too much fuel and wont burn up, if it's speeding up and stopping then check for the things listed above. Steve
yes, slowing down and then quits, I see what you mean, too much air and it would speed up, doesn't do that. I'll get a new filter and try it first.

yes, slowing down and then quits, I see what you mean, too much air and it would speed up, doesn't do that. I'll get a new filter and try it first.

Dont be afraid to try turning the low in some, it's not going to hurt anything and you can always put it back if no help. A clogged filter sure could cause that. Steve

Don't be afraid to try turning the low in some, it's not going to hurt anything and you can always put it back if no help. A clogged filter sure could cause that. Steve
My Stihl MS361 that was doing the same thing -- running rich at low speed, which seemed like the engine was drowning and that conked it out after about a half minute. I did exactly what you said here, and that worked for me. The idle speed went up slightly but not enough to cause chain creep.

You can do a soft reset of auto-tune system by cutting a length of wood about 5ft long by cutting about 2-3 inch deep with bottom of nose the length of wood running it at full throttle with sharp chain.

I cleaned the air filter but it was the reset that did it. I kind of forgot about that. Working great now. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Back