550XP starting and running issues.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3qdz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Any issues with starting and running your 550XP? Did it out of the box bog down, no power having problems running?

How long did you run the saw? Did you follow Husky's instruction for the initial start up?
It takes the autotune a few minutes to get things sorted out and run 100%

My 550 has ran flawless.

Out of the box I ran the one minute under load full open without letting my finger off the throttle.. The other thing I have only run the husky fuel through the saw.

Out of the box I ran the one minute under load full open without letting my finger off the throttle.. The other thing I have only run the husky fuel through the saw.
According to the manual you need to run it under load for 3 to 5 minutes.

Engine adjustment
The following steps should be taken when the chain saw is started for the first time or when outside circumstances change (fuel, altitude, air filter etc.): Start the engine. Accelerate the engine to full throttle and saw a number of cuts in a thick log (3-5 min.).

The chain saw must be run (8,000 - 12,000 rpm) the entire time so that the carburettor can adjust itself.

my 550 has been golden since day one. no bog at all but i did notice it get stronger and stronger up to about the 3rd-4th tank.

mine hit it's peak at 3-4 :). they sure are a turd first tank. i did expect it to get better with what everyone on AS was saying though.
Every saw is different. My newest 346xp peaked at 11 tanks. Yes, it was a turd on the first tank! Not much better on the second. Hell of a saw now though!!! :)

Every saw is different. My newest 346xp peaked at 11 tanks. Yes, it was a turd on the first tank! Not much better on the second. Hell of a saw now though!!! :)

so your saying you actually notice a saw get stronger with break in time. all the carbatooted saws i build are strong from the getgo and i can't notice any difference after break in other then it running a bit leaner once my break in tune is over and done with. i was more talking about the autotune. i was actually really surprised how turdly it was first tank. it honestly didn't feel much more powerfull then a muffler modded earthquake. that all went away 3-4 :). i actually sold my 346 to my brother cause he wanted it so bad. i don't need a 50cc saw often around here so decided to sell it and just keep the one i like more.

so your saying you actually notice a saw get stronger with break in time. all the carbatooted saws i build are strong from the getgo and i can't notice any difference after break in other then it running a bit leaner once my break in tune is over and done with. i was more talking about the autotune. i was actually really surprised how turdly it was first tank. it honestly didn't feel much more powerfull then a muffler modded earthquake. that all went away 3-4 :). i actually sold my 346 to my brother cause he wanted it so bad. i don't need a 50cc saw often around here so decided to sell it and just keep the one i like more.
Yes, I've noticed. Paid close attention to the 346xp because it was so bad at first, noticeable gains up to 11 tanks.

I found my 550 "woke up" around 5-7 tanks. I only feed it the silver bottle mix. Go expensive on the 2-stroke and cheap on the bar oil ;). This saw really responds well to a MM. You can drill right under the spark screen and it looks stock when you put the screen back in.

Sometimes it takes about 15-30 seconds for the AT to dial in (right after a cold start). Once it warms up however...game on. It likes to tune when in the wood. Just free revving it won't dial it in.

Latest posts

Back