550xp vs 346xp vs modded 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotjava66

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have beeen drooling over the 550xp for a while now, have not run one but have looked it over several times at the local saw shop. Trying to justify one, and not sure I can so looking for some input. I currently have an older 346xp and just don't use it all that much. I like it and its handy for certain things but I usually just run the 372xp all the time. The 346 is fast and nimble but the torque just isnt quite what I need to make me run it. That got me thinking maybe I should just send the 346 out and have it modded, it doesnt have a lot of hours on it and should last a long time yet. Would save me some dough and maybe justify the BIG saw I really want lol. Hello CAD, thanks in part to this site. Anyway, how does a modded 346 stack up against a 550 and how much better is it than stock? Had my 372 done last year and it really made a difference, is the 346 as responsive to mods?

Sounds like a 45cc one if you notice the missing torque and going by date.
I have ran 3 really good woods ported 45cc 346's and owned 2 that run with and out cut many others 50cc woods ported 346. Pick your porter wisely. ;):msp_thumbup:

I have beeen drooling over the 550xp for a while now, have not run one but have looked it over several times at the local saw shop. Trying to justify one, and not sure I can so looking for some input. I currently have an older 346xp and just don't use it all that much. I like it and its handy for certain things but I usually just run the 372xp all the time. The 346 is fast and nimble but the torque just isnt quite what I need to make me run it. That got me thinking maybe I should just send the 346 out and have it modded, it doesnt have a lot of hours on it and should last a long time yet. Would save me some dough and maybe justify the BIG saw I really want lol. Hello CAD, thanks in part to this site. Anyway, how does a modded 346 stack up against a 550 and how much better is it than stock? Had my 372 done last year and it really made a difference, is the 346 as responsive to mods?

Last weekend took the 346-OE-xp and the 550xp out firewood cutting this last weekend. Both saws have now been ported by Mastermind last year. I Noticed that the 550 outperformed the 346OE in the torque dept. Tried tweaking the tune on the 346 several times (Fatter/leaner), but could not quite match the 550 no matter the tune. Don't get get me wrong here, it's still a bad-assed angry little saw & I'm happy with it, but no doubt in my mind the 550 has a bit more torque. Checked the compression on the 346 when I got home and all is well. She's blowing 190-PSI
P6160077.JPG

Funny this old thread popped up, I actually ended up buying a 550xp and sending it to Mastermind last fall. Very happy with it, incredible saw for its size. Very rarely break out the big saw anymore.

I would like to have a ported 346xp by all the major builders... Maybe one day.

I ported my old one & it's an evil lil' beast. Been wanting to see what a Dozerized 346 is all about. :)

Latest posts

Back