550XP's shipping this week!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Esopus calls me. Helmet on Captain Video. Oh, and just an excuse to visit the shop. Need an excuse..

Your sig indicates we'll be talking about more than saws. Have you seen the Brothers with both Derek and Warren? Derek is really the only one I've ever seen who understands the Duane licks. :rockn:

If my Jonsered rep is here we won't be talking saws at all. He just saw Michael Angelo Batio, (Enter), and bought the guitar he played that night for $1200. I guess you could say he has GAD. :msp_w00t:

I saw Derek when he was 14 or so. Might have been Jones Beach. Might have been with the Toler brothers in Sarasota. Might have been both places...lol.

Saw ABB at the Nassau Coliseum in '73 or 74. You can buy that concert recording. A few times after that.

I never thought I would be listening to it 40 years later....

I get some PMs over the sig. Just2Fat saw Duane and Randy saw Grinderswitch. Love it......

:D :D

c6e4c814-782e-cbaa.jpg

I assume all 300 weren't sent to you via Fedex....:msp_biggrin:

Looks like FedEX ground. If you have an account, the shipping costs drop by as much as half if you do large quantities.

Here's some unwrapping music:

[video=youtube;wV0wPBYDQ6Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV0wPBYDQ6Y[/video]

Looks like FedEX ground. If you have an account, the shipping costs drop by as much as half if you do large quantities.

Here's some unwrapping music:

[video=youtube;wV0wPBYDQ6Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV0wPBYDQ6Y[/video]

Surely, but I assume TK didn't order all 300 saws in that batch! :givebeer:

Well boys, I got my shipment in on Tuesday as scheduled. J.Walker got the first one, not counting mine. :msp_rolleyes:

Took some pics but.................can't load them in the new shop computer without finding the camera disc. I'll see what I can do about that.

But I did take one into the woods yesterday morning, (before it got HOT), and ran a tank through one. Also brought along a stock 346 for comparison. Both had 21LP chain.

Weight: Don't know what the specs say, but it definitely feels lighter. And IMO it balances better with an 18" than does a 346. Handles real nice. (must have real good sideways balance. :dizzy:) Haven't put a 16" on one yet to see how that feels, but that's how I usually run saws in this class.

Vibes: Like all of these new Huskys, it's smooth as butter.

Power: By the end of that first tank it felt the same as the 346. We'll have to see what it gains over the next few tanks. Had the 18" bar buried in some maple and it pulled nice. I'd normally be running a bigger saw in that size wood, but wanted to see what she'd do.

Oiler: In decent sized wood, it should be left on full, where it will throw plenty of oil. But the lower settings are pretty stingy. It comes out of the box in the mdeium setting so most of you will want to open it up.

Starting: When doing a lot of stop/start work and always starting a hot saw, I find with all of these new saws that setting the hi idle will always give you a one pull start. Leaving it on regular idle will usually take 3 pulls, sometimes 2.

Ripping: Did a few noodle cuts so I could lift them into the truck and it went through it pretty good. One thing I noticed was that there were as many noodles coiming out the top as the back. The space above the bar at the case is twice the size of that on the 346.

So when you stop feeling and listening for every subtle little difference and you're just working with the saw, what's it like? Pretty close to perfect.................but so was the 346. Keep in mind that I love the 346/2153, and as several of us have said, it's a tough act to follow. But this is one sweet saw to run. It is not the same leap forward ahead of the 346 as the 562 was over the 357. The 562 right out of the box will toast a 357. Even a 555 will at least be equal to a 357. I guess the big question will be what it runs like after it breaks in a little bit.

Your sig indicates we'll be talking about more than saws. Have you seen the Brothers with both Derek and Warren? Derek is really the only one I've ever seen who understands the Duane licks. :rockn:

If my Jonsered rep is here we won't be talking saws at all. He just saw Michael Angelo Batio, (Enter), and bought the guitar he played that night for $1200. I guess you could say he has GAD. :msp_w00t:

This Jumpin' Jack Flash has GAS, GAS, GAS.

1972 Gibson Firebird V Medallion #359 of 366.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Not to be overly pessimistic, but I'll be surprised if it can match the performance, ported, of a ported 346. I do want to find out though. That's just a mighty tough act to follow. For a straight up work saw for a regular Joe, I can see it being the best ever.

Well boys, I got my shipment in on Tuesday as scheduled. J.Walker got the first one, not counting mine. :msp_rolleyes:

Took some pics but.................can't load them in the new shop computer without finding the camera disc. I'll see what I can do about that.

Do you have a Card reader for the memory cards ? My dell has one built in. I like it better than the cable and software.

Not to be overly pessimistic, but I'll be surprised if it can match the performance, ported, of a ported 346. I do want to find out though. That's just a mighty tough act to follow. For a straight up work saw for a regular Joe, I can see it being the best ever.

Initially I'd have been inclined to feel the same way. But after seeing what Terry did to the 562, this could get pretty interesting. :msp_biggrin:

Wow that is nice!

Thanks. It gigged most every weekend for 35 years before the owner died 5 year ago. My 15 year old son is playin' it now. Forty year old mahogany is so sweet. Johnny Winters style blues is where she's at home.

But I did take one into the woods yesterday morning, (before it got HOT), and ran a tank through one. Also brought along a stock 346 for comparison. Both had 21LP chain.

Weight: Don't know what the specs say, but it definitely feels lighter. And IMO it balances better with an 18" than does a 346. Handles real nice. (must have real good sideways balance. :dizzy:) Haven't put a 16" on one yet to see how that feels, but that's how I usually run saws in this class.

Vibes: Like all of these new Huskys, it's smooth as butter.

Power: By the end of that first tank it felt the same as the 346. We'll have to see what it gains over the next few tanks. Had the 18" bar buried in some maple and it pulled nice. I'd normally be running a bigger saw in that size wood, but wanted to see what she'd do.

Oiler: In decent sized wood, it should be left on full, where it will throw plenty of oil. But the lower settings are pretty stingy. It comes out of the box in the mdeium setting so most of you will want to open it up.

Starting: When doing a lot of stop/start work and always starting a hot saw, I find with all of these new saws that setting the hi idle will always give you a one pull start. Leaving it on regular idle will usually take 3 pulls, sometimes 2.

Ripping: Did a few noodle cuts so I could lift them into the truck and it went through it pretty good. One thing I noticed was that there were as many noodles coiming out the top as the back. The space above the bar at the case is twice the size of that on the 346.

So when you stop feeling and listening for every subtle little difference and you're just working with the saw, what's it like? Pretty close to perfect.................but so was the 346. Keep in mind that I love the 346/2153, and as several of us have said, it's a tough act to follow. But this is one sweet saw to run. It is not the same leap forward ahead of the 346 as the 562 was over the 357. The 562 right out of the box will toast a 357. Even a 555 will at least be equal to a 357. I guess the big question will be what it runs like after it breaks in a little bit.

Nice first impression report, with Zero surprizes! :clap::clap:

I remember similar comments being made about the 441.

Not to hijack but is there a thread on Tlandrum doing work on a 562? I have only seen Randy's 562 thread and anything about Terry or Brad working on one would be good saw #### for me! Thanks, Russ

Not to hijack but is there a thread on Tlandrum doing work on a 562? I have only seen Randy's 562 thread and anything about Terry or Brad working on one would be good saw #### for me! Thanks, Russ

No 562 thread from Terry. I did get to run it and its a real runner. No its not a 70cc, but its a damn strong saw for 59.8cc. I like what he done with the 562, I plan on trying the same strategy with the 550 :msp_scared:!

Thanks. It gigged most every weekend for 35 years before the owner died 5 year ago. My 15 year old son is playin' it now. Forty year old mahogany is so sweet. Johnny Winters style blues is where she's at home.

That does look like it has been both loved and well played over the years. How is the action set on it? There are some Youtube vids of Derek Trucks playing a Firebird from the 3-15-10 Allmans show at the Palace Theater in NY with some stellar slide work.

Ya know, I had a 72 Firebird myself.............but it was a Pontiac, not a Gibson. :msp_w00t:

Thanks again for the pics father Joat! She's a beauty. :clap:

Latest posts

Back