543XP's have shipped!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike60

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just noticed that my 543's have shipped and they will be here bright and early Monday morning. :clap:

I'll get some pics up as soon as I get them out of the box. Will also fuel up one of my 242's and we'll find out how the new kid on the block stacks up. I can't imagine the 543 will keep up with my slightly modded 242, so I suppose I should compare it to my stock one.

I always like when something new arrives, but the store is getting real busy and I can see I'm going to be kind of distracted Monday. ;)

Nice! I've always wanted an orange Redmax. :) It will be interesting to see how it performs.

Doug
It'll likely run pretty good, but I have doubts about it equaling the 242.

I also gotta mention that I didn't look to see if they shipped from up here in Troy or from Charlotte, which would mean Tues arrival, not Monday. Extra day is no big deal..............I only placed this order last October. :rolleyes:

great news spike! I am sure your customers will understand the slight delay in helping them out.:ices_rofl:

I must admit, as excited as I am about these, I've been wondering whether or not the weight saving against a 550/545 is going to make them viable.
It will mean the difference in me buying one or three. I currently run a 345,445 and an oe 346 (3 of us cutting). The 346 will stay as a backup but the 345 and 445 are due for replacement. The 445 goes well enough that I'm sure the 543 will do the work I need it to - but the competition is really the 550. It's a lose weight vs gain power story.

I must admit, as excited as I am about these, I've been wondering whether or not the weight saving against a 550/545 is going to make them viable.
It will mean the difference in me buying one or three. I currently run a 345,445 and an oe 346 (3 of us cutting). The 346 will stay as a backup but the 345 and 445 are due for replacement. The 445 goes well enough that I'm sure the 543 will do the work I need it to - but the competition is really the 550. It's a lose weight vs gain power story.

Well, that's the question I've been asking from the beginning. The 550 is so sweet, why do we need the 543? And it's not just the 550, cause the 545 has more power than the 543 and costs less. There are times that a 242XP is just the perfect saw to run, and I'm glad I've got a couple. So, if the 543 can keep up with a 242, then there is a market for it. I sharpened up my 242's last night in anticipation of the upcoming grudge match. :laugh: (My money's on the 242)

But back when the 242 was on the market, the next step up was the 254, and the difference in weight between the 2 was more significant than comparing the 550 and 543. Sort of like the MS241 and MS261 today.

From the 2014 catalog, here are the specs. (I must be feeling Norwegian this morning lol)

543- 2.95hp; 9.9 lbs.

545-3.3hp; 10.8 lbs.

550-3.7lbs; 10.8 lbs.

445- 2.8hp; 11.2 lbs.

Compared to the 445, it looks real good. About the same power, but nice and light. Compared to the 550, or even the 545, I think you give up too much power for a smaller savings in weight.

I think it's going to come down to what are you actually going to use it for. A light saw for climbing, bucket work and other limbing tasks. For that it makes sense. If you want to cut firewood with it, then the 545 is a far better choice.

I'm also anxious to tach this saw, as I've heard conflicting reports about what RPM's they are going to run at. 15,000? 16,000?

I'm also anxious to tach this saw, as I've heard conflicting reports about what RPM's they are going to run at. 15,000? 16,000?
Are you talking about the no-load WOT rpm for setting the mixture?

I think it's going to come down to what are you actually going to use it for. A light saw for climbing, bucket work and other limbing tasks. For that it makes sense. If you want to cut firewood with it, then the 545 is a far better choice.

Obviously it will be useful in some situations.

From what I can remember having seen in Husky documents, I suspect 14,500 is a more realistic max rpm number, but it may of course have changed later......

Latest posts

Back