543XP's have shipped!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what you guys are saying is a french guy thought up something useful beside fries?? I love engines so all morning I was reading about these, pretty neat.
Lol - me too. Nerd.

Actually, this is why I have gotten into Zenoah designs, as they really have been doing some leading edge stuff. I hope the design group stays intact.

Giant killer? None of them. They're good saws, but not giant killers.

Doug
Of course this depends on your interpretation... Giant killer can be dollar per dollar performance vs. the big three (Stihl-Husqvarna-Dolmar) offerings....
Could be again a smaller saw withmods that out performs a saw one class ahead, from the big three; ie a 40cc class Zenoah modded to kick a little 250 Stihl tail.. both in performance and price.... that's the concept. Which one responds best to mods...

So which of those "Zenoah" designs / saws has the most giant killer potential??
Well, I think the GZ4000/4500 are pretty close to that, but really as you pointed out in the other thread it's mostly just that they are more interesting. They work well too, sometimes better, but to some extent it's just that they are different and cleverly designed which relieves the boredom of yet another conventional saw design. Clearly there are people in their design dept that are thinking and pushing the envelope.

Of course this depends on your interpretation... Giant killer can be dollar per dollar performance vs. the big three (Stihl-Husqvarna-Dolmar) offerings....
Could be again a smaller saw withmods that out performs a saw one class ahead, from the big three; ie a 40cc class Zenoah modded to kick a little 250 Stihl tail.. both in performance and price.... that's the concept. Which one responds best to mods...
Dollar per dollar performance i'll take my Dolmar 421 at $329

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On ebay those GZ4000/4500 go for $310 delivered to your door. They are 40-44cc saws right? Still they actually will have to compete with things like used 455's, Husky 450's and my bet is things like the new 543...the genesis of this thread. Wonder how they compare head to head....and which ones responds to mods the best?.... That's why your (Chris-PA) Chi-Com build threads are interesting because it forces that analysis at least at an intellectual level. And judging with the visceral reactions, what ever you post Chi-Com related is GOING to be read! Dollar for dollar? It would be fun to pit my Chi-Com Huztl or your G621 Chi-Com Saws, build both repeatable at around $250-$300 to any new saw in that $300 price ranges for raw performance, so dollar per dollars "chi-com" to "big mainstream three" comparisons can be brutal to smaller new saws on the surface when raw power vs. intended purpose is the definition of win. No replacement for displacement! Question is can those $300 dollar GZ4000/4500 series be modded to challenge $400 dollars offerings?

These threads remind me of the Motocross threads when Mike Alessi or James Stewart start doing well....LOL! The two guys the rank and file moto fans (Stihl buyer types) love to hate! (JS has won 5 this year, 3 in a row! I'm a fan. Hope he sneaks up and snag's the title!)

So we are all dying to know if the 543XP will make the Husqvarna users/fans proud! Or will they fall into the category of an interesting but unwanted intrusion from the pacific rim into a crowded spot in the saw marketplace. Time will tell!

It would be fun to pit my Chi-Com Huztl or your G621 Chi-Com Saws, build both repeatable at around $250-$300 to any new saw in that $300 price ranges for raw performance
Well, I gotta disagree there. My G621 clone is not legal for sale here, and the build quality was perhaps not good enough to allow it to survive any comparison tests unless one is capable of fixing the defects (although they were small things). The design is fine (it's from Zenoah), but I'd never suggest it is a viable competitor to mainstream saws at the price I bought it for. There is a reason it was so cheap. For reference, my Earthquake is smaller saw made by the same outfit but at least modified to be legal (modified timing and a cat) - these sell for something like $175 retail and are not competitive performance-wise in that condition.

More to the point here though, this is a not an el-cheapo, it is a quality Zenoah saw. It's different from standard Husky fare, but not inferior in any way. The RedMax branded saws are going away, and it is good to see some of the designs may carry on in the Husky lineup.

OK - not sure why this would be interesting. it's just an rpm used to set the fuel mixture, and doesn't really mean anything about the rpms the saw runs under load.

How much impact it has will vary a lot, depending on what you cut, how you cut, and several other factors....

How much impact it has will vary a lot, depending on what you cut, how you cut, and several other factors....
No, a higher no load WOT set point may not mean that the saw runs any more rpm in the cut at all. On a given model of saw if you lean the mixture you'll raise both the WOT and the rpm in the cut (for as long as it lasts), but you cannot compare two different models in that way.

The no load WOT is just a way to set mixture. The factory figures out the proper mixture under load, but they have no good way to tell the mechanics how to duplicate that setting. So they run the saw WOT no load and see what rpm that is. If you duplicate that then you will duplicate the mixture under load too (for a stock saw). That's it, that's all it means. The relationship between the no load WOT max rpm limited by a super rich fuel mixture, and the mixture at lower rpm is not linear, and will be influenced by many things, like porting and carb size, but it is consistent enough to be used as a mixture setting tool.

A higher no load WOT rpm does not mean the saw will rev higher in the cut at all.

Sorry, posted in the other thread before I knew this one existed. My 543xp PHO weighs in at 9lb 15.3oz right out of the box. I like what I see so far. List on these is $499

Of course it wll, initially, and maybe all the way trough if the wood is small enough.
It would if you took a 543XP and raised the WOT rpm.

If someone told you the the no load WOT rpm on a new saw design you would know nothing about the rpm under load.

Latest posts

Back