562 XP, Bar oil trouble, How much should it oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOE.G

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi, I have a562 XP, It just doesn't seem to oil the bar and chain all that well, I am using Husky Summer Blend bar oil, I have the oil turned all the way up. It seems as if I get teh chain smoking some times and there just doesn't seem to have as much oil on teh bar and chain and even in the clutch cover like my other saws. If I put it over some Cardboard oil will fling off but once again not as much as my others.

I took the clutch cover off and cleaned everything out, I also blew the bar out and I ran the saw with the cover off and on full oil it seemed to run out pretty good and with the oiler all the way down it did slow up.

SO I guess my Question is how do I make sure it is oiling properly and how much should it oil. Thanks

Open up the oil hole in the bar. It is only about 1/16" diameter. Look at some of your old saws at the size of the oil hole in the bar?

I know my Rancher over oils, My 450 is about perfect, My 562 and my Pole Saw both under oil in my opinion,Do I just use a drill bit? What size? any other tips?

I have used between 5/32" and 7/32" drill bit depending on what I pick up

Before you go drilling holes etc. One question. When you run out of fuel, how much oil is left in the oil tank?
My 562 is not a prolific oiler in the sense of my 394 or 3120, but it never seems to suffer from oil starvation. If your fuel and oil are running out at the same time, or near to, then there is no problem IMHO.

What size bar are you using? I have a 20" Techlite on mine turned all the way up and it oils plenty. I turn all the oilers all the way up regardless of bar size,more bar oil never hurts.

Put the saw over a piece of wood or something and run it WOT for a few seconds if you see a light spray of oil its oiling enough.

Last edited:
I alway mean to check the oil to fuel use ratio, But I get working and forget and then top them off without checking. I would say they are pretty even though.

I am running a Husky 20 Inch bar on it.

If you are sawing dry wood or into dead places in a tree, the bar and chain will be dryer.

If you don't want to drill the bar out, but still encounter under oiling, just go to a shorter bar and chain. Same amount of oil being pumped to less bar and fewer links will result in better oiling. Also will help with the cutting power a little. Unless you absolutely need the 20, an 18 will work. Good to have multiple bars and fitted loops per saw anyway.

Make sure to clean around the cap before filling up every time so no trash gets in the oiler.

Mine with a 20" Tech-Lite bar oils fine and has been flawless for well over a year.

All my other saws with newer bars have had the oil holes drilled out to 1/8"-5/32",, like they should be.

7/32" is a big hole. The last bar I drilled I actually checked the size of bit I used and it was a 7/64". 5/32" is the biggest I'd go. The small holes in some of the bars is plenty big enough to flow the oil needed, but the problem is they plug up very easily. The bigger hole is to prevent plugging up. When I'm cutting big osage down really close to the ground my chain will sometimes seem a bit dry and gets hot. It's always because the chain is just a TINY bit dull. Looks sharp still, but a quick touch up filing makes it cut nice and quick without the heat.

Last edited:
I have a 18 Inch Husky bar and Stihl Chain set up for the saw, But since I have 18's on my 55 and 450 figured id leave the 20 on the 562. I don't know anyone else with a 562 so I could see how theres oils.

Well, as I said earlier, my 562XP does not oil as prolifically as my 394XP but with a 20" bar in dry Aussie hardwood it is oiling fine without any sign of excess heat or wear. I know that some have mention drilling oil holes out, but my personal experience has been that my Oregon bars with the smaller oil holes are far less prone to blockage than my Carlton bar with a much larger oil hole. In fact in the last 16 years I have never had a blocked oil hole on my 394 with Oregon 24"bar.
If you are going tank for tank oil/fuel then you have no problem.
My guess is that oiling rates have been cut back a little for environmental reasons.

Perhaps the oiler is fine and the chain is dull?

I may open up the holes a bit on a beat up 20 In bar and see how that works. The chain is nice and sharp, I thought that may be a issue so I took my time and gave it a nice edge, I may just not be used to how newer saws oil, I know my 55 Makes a oil mess.

Latest posts

Back