562xp just got hardware and software update, but im not convinced

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidKnight

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Basically here's the story, my 562 ran sweet, no problems at all, very happy with the saw, except for the hot start issue, which is of cause easy to get around by using high idle to start it.

But because I'm picky, I thought I would take it in and see what could be done under warranty.

They said the coil was an issue, so they put the new version carby in, new coil and wiring and updated software, which I thought great..

I went to pick it up, and they said I might it could bog down for a second or two when grabbing onto the throttle, then I asked if they could put the saw to a real world test, so they took it out back and ran about 4 cuts through a 6inch log, now when he stopped after the last cut, releasing the throttle the saw seem to run in high idle (chain still spinning) for about 3 seconds, then went into idle (and chain stopping)

He said, it could just need more time for the saw to tune itself and settle in...

Now I'm interested to see what your comment is?

The 545 I had would do the same thing initially. Sometimes the idle would be far too high and wouldn't come down. Sometimes it would idle high the drop down as you described. By the end of the first tank, it sorted itself out and would idle down properly. I'd just run a tank through it and see if it sorts itself out.

You need to run it fairly hard in some wood for several minutes before you can even begin to draw any conclusions.

The 545 I had would do the same thing initially. Sometimes the idle would be far too high and wouldn't come down. Sometimes it would idle high the drop down as you described. By the end of the first tank, it sorted itself out and would idle down properly. I'd just run a tank through it and see if it sorts itself out.

was that a brand new saw you bought off the self, or one you had updated in someway?

Basically here's the story, my 562 ran sweet, no problems at all, very happy with the saw, except for the hot start issue, which is of cause easy to get around by using high idle to start it.

They said the coil was an issue, so they put the new version carby in, new coil and wiring and updated software, which I thought great..

Now I'm interested to see what your comment is?

1. That's why there is a hot re-start procedure. You mentally created a problem that didn't exist.
2. Your dealer is a parts changer and most likely can't change his own underwear.
3. The rest yep takes some run time to settle itself out, just like your saw did when new.

was that a brand new saw you bought off the self, or one you had updated in someway?

New off the shelf, which is irrelevant. By installing updated software it set your saw back to baseline and eliminated any runtime memory it had, reverting back to the equivalent of a new saw off the shelf.

Kind of like if you go pull the battery cable on a vehicle. It takes several miles driving for the computer to relearn itself. During that time, the engine may have a high idle, and may also stall out when coming to a stop. Transmission shift points may be erratic. All vehicles do this to some degree, it's just that some are worse about it than others, and I am talking individual vehicles, brand makes no difference. In fact, some have a certain procedure to follow after the battery has been unhooked to expedite the computer relearning the vehicle and components.

And you might go read your manual. Hot starts are always to be done on high idle. I used to have a 555 that I cursed because it wouldn't restart easily once warmed up. Sold it to somebody smarter than me at a significant loss. All because I refused to read the manual. Had I known what I know now, I'd still have that saw.

First things first. Go read your manual. Cover to cover. Then go read it again. Trust me, I learned the hard way as I have already described above. Number one "problem" with AutoTune is the failure of owners to read the manual, tied with dealers who will not educate themselves about the system and subsequently are unable to properly educate their customers.

Second, go run a tank or two of fuel through it. Make several cuts in a larger chunk of wood as outlined in the manual. Then limb with it. Let it idle a bit here and there. In other words, just start using it. Don't baby it. Just run it. Once you get a tank or two of fuel through it, report back and let us know how it's running.

And you might go read your manual. Hot starts are always to be done on high idle. I used to have a 555 that I cursed because it wouldn't restart easily once warmed up. Sold it to somebody smarter than me at a significant loss. All because I refused to read the manual. Had I known what I know now, I'd still have that saw.

First things first. Go read your manual. Cover to cover. Then go read it again. Trust me, I learned the hard way as I have already described above. Number one "problem" with AutoTune is the failure of owners to read the manual, tied with dealers who will not educate themselves about the system and subsequently are unable to properly educate their customers.

Second, go run a tank or two of fuel through it. Make several cuts in a larger chunk of wood as outlined in the manual. Then limb with it. Let it idle a bit here and there. In other words, just start using it. Don't baby it. Just run it. Once you get a tank or two of fuel through it, report back and let us know how it's running.

Your post is fantastic, it should become a sticky! Repped!

All I can say is that I got a 545 and a 550XP last year this time and have never had any trouble with either.
Not knowing anything about any hot start problem with them, I always did pull out the choke and push it off on hot starts from the beginning just like on my 357XP and 346XP NE.
I've always run 3/8" Stihl RS chain on them with Oregon Power Match 16" bars

562xp here 1-3/4 years old and had the the updates done not to long ago did my self at work and first 10-15 minutes ran funny after that runs great I never had a problem with my saw but I do all my own work at work on my saws.
lasmacgod is 100% right on that use it and find something that will actually work the saw 6 inch piece of wood would barely register on a good 60cc saw. I took mine to the hills and droped 2 cords with it to run it in again and let the computer to relearn itself again starts every time and runs great

Nothing to be scared of with the AT as well stated above by lasmacgod. :clap:

My 4AT have been flawless once I learned to read.

Back