575xp on my bench. A few questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clean up the OEM cyl and make sure its good to go, then throw in the AM piston.

After reading some of the replies (thanks to all of you BTW) I am second guessing pressing the bearings into the cases and then installing the crank as I had planned...

Being that the bearings came out of the cases somewhat easily, I'm starting to wonder if tapping the bearings onto the crank first and then heating each case one at a time as suggested by you Modifiedmark might be best plan of action on this saw. Even without heating the cases, I don't think it would be all that difficult to seat the bearings in the cases judging by how they came out. Heating would make it that much easier. Just have to be careful not to put too much strain on the roller balls and races. When doing it this way you are pushing the bearing into the case bearing housing by the balls and races as opposed to using a properly sized socket or other driving device to push/tap the bearing into the housing via the outer race alone, which puts no load on the bearing balls or races.

Just have to be a bit more careful not to push the issue with this method.

I will certainly update this thread as things progress. Might be a little while though as I have 2 other saws I need to get out my shop and back to their respective owners before I resume work on this one.

This is turning out to be a very informative thread. :)

Even without heating the cases, I don't think it would be all that difficult to seat the bearings in the cases judging by how they came out.
Which is precisely why this thread exists :)
As far as i know this is the only gripe with these saws, aside from their fat-pig weight. As mark said these are a strong, smooth saw. Interested to see how long mine lasts.

Personally I tap all my bearings on the crank then heat the cases in the oven. About 350℉ for about 10 min each side seems to go together easy and no strain on the bearings.

Or just get a clamshell and don't worry about having to get a bearing in a case. Lol

I got mine all assembled and tuned up today, I pressed the bearings in the case then pressed the cases together, how I do bike and quad engines, most manuals say to do it that way, but either way works. Any who my saw is running good. No stuffers, one gasket, and one ring, my piston kit came with a broken ring so I just left it out. Scrounged up a bar and chain from the spare pile, now I'm waiting for it to get a little warmer than -20 to try it out.

After reading some of the replies (thanks to all of you BTW) I am second guessing pressing the bearings into the cases and then installing the crank as I had planned...

Being that the bearings came out of the cases somewhat easily, I'm starting to wonder if tapping the bearings onto the crank first and then heating each case one at a time as suggested by you Modifiedmark might be best plan of action on this saw. Even without heating the cases, I don't think it would be all that difficult to seat the bearings in the cases judging by how they came out. Heating would make it that much easier. Just have to be careful not to put too much strain on the roller balls and races. When doing it this way you are pushing the bearing into the case bearing housing by the balls and races as opposed to using a properly sized socket or other driving device to push/tap the bearing into the housing via the outer race alone, which puts no load on the bearing balls or races.

Just have to be a bit more careful not to push the issue with this method.

I will certainly update this thread as things progress. Might be a little while though as I have 2 other saws I need to get out my shop and back to their respective owners before I resume work on this one.

This is turning out to be a very informative thread. :)

I hear ya but the way I suggested was intended for most of the time. If your bearings come out that easy, I still think a light peen and the locktight might be in order and then that would require pressing the bearings into the case first.

I think your over thinking any side pressure issues with the bearings also..

Back