6 year old oak and cherry.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So i just got a free pickup load of about (a guess) 6 year old oak cherry and something else I cant identify. It has been kept completely dry but still exposed to the wind and sun. Owner guesses about 6 years.

All of it has been cut to length and split or left round, but some of them I had to cut down a bit shorter. Some of the stuff cut like iron almost like it was petrified. But not a single piece was rotten.

I’m super excited about getting this wood as it can go right in the stove but just wanted to ask..... when hardwoods get this old but are not rotten are they somewhat unpredictable as far as how much heat there going to put out?

I’ve never burned wood this old and some of the big spits are SUPER hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best to mix in with what you have first. The first time I burned oak that was 11-14% the house got to 96°F with the air choked. I didn't think it would make that much difference, just thought it would burn cleaner.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Best to mix in with what you have first. The first time I burned oak that was 11-14% the house got to 96°F with the air choked. I didn't think it would make that much difference, just thought it would burn cleaner.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

That's what I was gonna say. Mix it in.

So I put in one large split of that old Oak, a piece of black walnut because I know that it does not burn that hot and a piece of hickory that i burn frequently.

That old oak ignited within about 10 seconds of laying on the coals and man oh man did that stove get hot this morning!

within 10 minutes damper was closed all the way and I had secondary burned.

This wood kicks ass but a stove full of it would be dangerous for sure

You might consider splitting the oak into smaller pieces for the fire. Kinda like cutting that 32 oz steak into bite-sized pieces before tackling it. :D

I happened on a 12 cord stash a couple years ago that a deceased farmer's family was selling. A woodshed full of oak about 5 years old. The moisture content was 12%, the stuff burned great. I don't remember having to do anything special with it. This is a picture of it below.

17222_448985211953782_175284489004551375_n.jpg

Don't burn it. Call me, and I'll take it off your hands. This is way too dangerous for you to be messing with. LOL
Good find! Happy burning

Don't burn it. Call me, and I'll take it off your hands. This is way too dangerous for you to be messing with. LOL
Good find! Happy burning

Send me your address. I’ll send you some free ****. Well over six years old. [emoji23]

Ill have a tanker truck dump it in your back yard for ya.

Back