60's Homelite Zip brought back to life...and for sale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamrjones77

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Gents, I got this beast for a reasonable price and I couldn't pass it up. It was a mess. Oily sawdust caked from what appeared to be decades of neglect.

I tore it apart and ran every piece through the parts washer. That alone took about 4 hours. I have no clue how old the fuel was but it had been sitting long enough to create a beautiful amber, putty that had the consistency of caramel. I had to dig it out with screwdrivers then let carb cleaner sit for a few hours to break down the rest. A glorious procedure I wish not to repeat. Once cleaned, the tank was resealed. This sticky garbage solidified all the way through to the carb. It was rebuilt with an NOS kit once it sat in chemdip overnight. A new fuel line was installed.

Through the exhaust port I noted very light scarring on the piston. After tearing it down again, the cylinder was top notch so I replaced the piston and rings.

Lastly, I had a time locating the correct recoil spring as the old one had rusted to nothing. It was time to fire it up and boy did it!

I'd never heard a saw so loud in my young life. It caused a headache in a matter of seconds. The muffs went on shortly thereafter. I got the old beast tuned and running at its whopping, yet torque ridden, 6k RPMs. It "zip"ped through a 6" white oak limb like it was soft butter.

The chain that was on it when I purchased was nearly new and didn't even require sharpening. I'm blown away at the cutting power of this thing!

Sadly, I'm not a collector of things I don't use so it needs a home with someone who will either use it or restore it to its original glory.

I'm in a small, rural town about an hour south of Atlanta, Georgia called Zebulon but can ship. At 30+ lbs, it won't be cheap.

Any takers?
94961be7bd946d73e9b5b808729f03eb.jpg
1aeebe433ae9937fb81e8b802ad1eeaa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

yep, they made 1,000's of those with about 20 version of it
i picked up mine for $40
Nice. I got this one for $20 but it took a bit more to get it running properly. If it won't sell, I'll empty the tank and store it. It's just too darn heavy to use regularly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

yep, they made 1,000's of those with about 20 version of it
i picked up mine for $40
Got mine for 10$, missing the " muffler cover " , no wear marks anywhere, original paint on the bar and all decals perfect! It needed nothing but fresh gas in the tank. They are a beast but are all over the place.

I prefer to use what I have as well and I can't see me using that saw on a regular basis. I'm glad to see someone save it from the scrap yard though! I hope someone snatches it up and takes care of the old girl.

Latest posts

Back