Rebuilt homelite zip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raybow1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just finished rebuilding this homelite zip and what a job it was! Everything was completely froze on this thing as it had sat outside for some time. The piston and cylinder were froze as the crank was froze also. Electrolysis had everything pretty much locked up. I heated the piston and used massive break away to finally free the rings. Even the reeds were bent out of place due to corrosion. I had to drill the rivets out and remove the reeds to clean the housing of the corrosion and re rivet the reeds back into place. I relly enjoyed the challenge of this old beast. The end result was great spark and 125psi compression. This old saw has a new life now.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Great lookin' saw, well worth the effort, Lets hear her run!:cheers:

:agree2:

A video would be nice, but I don't think you want to hear her run in person. Those things are ear splittingly loud. Make sure to wear proper hearing protection.

I'm glad you put in the time to fix it. Those saws are great. My great grandpa had one. It's sitting on my bench waiting for a parts saw to turn up. It might be there a while.

Nice! I cleaned up a Homelite Zip 5 last summer, and yes they are DEAFENING, but very fun to run.

Latest posts

Back