Help finding recoil pulley for Deere CS40.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeStihlMyHeart

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all.

My Deere CS40 saw will no longer pull start, as the teeth on the recoil pulley are gone.

Im having a hard time finding a new one and was hoping one of you guys could help.

Is there another model saw, with a recoil pulley that would fit?

Hello all.

My Deere CS40 saw will no longer pull start, as the teeth on the recoil pulley are gone.

Im having a hard time finding a new one and was hoping one of you guys could help.

In my humble opinion, those teeth don't look bad. Can you show a pic of what they engage? I'm thinking you may have another problem. jmho :cool: OT

I believe what you have pictured should engage what is called a Pawl. Make sure the pawl is not stuck. It should pivot on a screw/bolt. Lube it and make sure it moves freely. It should have a spring holding it in one position which would be start position. Once started, centrifugal force will move it out of the way of what you have pictured. jmho :cool: OT
Go here: Part 23
https://www.weingartz.com/assembly-...in-saws-pc2847-starter-cs56/4275-34517-537164

Hello all.

Well, you made this post and I replied. You have not responded to my suggestions. Did you find your problem? It would be nice if you would let us know. Thanks, OT

Had a busy day with family. Finally got back home and able to check it out. The pawls were stuck and needed lubed.

I appreciate the help.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings not being able to reply sooner.

Had a busy day with family. Finally got back home and able to check it out. The pawls were stuck and needed lubed.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks for letting us know you got is fixed. You did not hurt my feelings and I certainly hope I did not imply that. So many times someone will ask for help and receive it and then they never let anyone know if the help they received was correct or not. For your future information, there are a lot of smaller saws that use that particular setup on the recoil system. Your photos were excellent and the saw looks almost new and very well kept. The photos led me to my analysis and I'm glad it was correct. Thanks again for letting us know you got it fixed. :cool: OT
And I certainly understand being busy with family. Especially as it was Mother's Day. :)

Thanks for letting us know you got is fixed. You did not hurt my feelings and I certainly hope I did not imply that. So many times someone will ask for help and receive it and then they never let anyone know if the help they received was correct or not. For your future information, there are a lot of smaller saws that use that particular setup on the recoil system. Your photos were excellent and the saw looks almost new and very well kept. The photos led me to my analysis and I'm glad it was correct. Thanks again for letting us know you got it fixed. :cool: OT
And I certainly understand being busy with family. Especially as it was Mother's Day. :)
Going forward , what brand do you think it is, at some point he will need a part ? It looks like an Efco to me . Could not find an exact match in Acres though .

Since it doesn’t look anything like saws we see every day, I am thinking it’s an Efco , I tried to cross reference by CC’s and the look of the recoil ,and that’s the only thing close .

I appreciate the help.

Back