6401 b/b possible experiment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky46cc

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just musing about Makita 6401's....my HD is going to have some for sale soon from its rental dept. and I'm intrigued by all the stories of upgrading them to 79cc OEM or 84cc BB. Some folks say they come alive when upgraded... others say they cut enuff, stock, if the chain is sharp. then too there was that post witht the timed cuts that showed, supposedly that the upgrade still didn't put the Makita in the same league with 346xp and others.

So...... anybody remember basic rules of creating a reliable science experiment... Would this be valid: Acquire a stock Makita 6401.
put a new sharp chain on it. do some timed cuts. Then put on the OEM. Use the exact same saw to do the exact same timed cuts.
Would this experiment give you valid results on any percentage increases in performance?

Just wondering...
THC

I have a 6400 also and trowing around the idea of a 79cc kit as well. The problem I'm having is that is runs great stock with a 20" b&c and i really can't think of a reason to upgrade execpt for CAD of corse. And IMHO the 6400 is not in the same league as a 346xp, its one step up. I will probably upgrade to the 79cc kit sooner or later but for now its just a MM and run it! :msp_thumbsup:

There is an undeniable difference bw the 64c and 79/84cc. I choose the 79cc bc of the quality. I think the power difference is very small bw the to "up-sized" top-ends.
I suppose a 346 can be made to cut faster than a 7900, but I don't know how long it will stay together. But leave it to a motorhead to prove it can be done.
I have a spare BB kit from Bailey's if you are interested.

Thanks!

There is an undeniable difference bw the 64c and 79/84cc. I choose the 79cc bc of the quality. I think the power difference is very small bw the to "up-sized" top-ends.
I suppose a 346 can be made to cut faster than a 7900, but I don't know how long it will stay together. But leave it to a motorhead to prove it can be done.
I have a spare BB kit from Bailey's if you are interested.

Many thanks for the kind offer, but first I have to procure the saw from Home Depot......:):smile2: The rental manager said he had EIGHT 6401's so he's expecting HD corporate to tell him to get rid of some.

They are hard to find. If you can get two or three, or 8, buy them all and move them here. I am looking for another one.

IMO well worth the money. Durable, but chubby at 64cc . Now, with 79 cc and 8 pin, a joy.

They are hard to find. If you can get two or three, or 8, buy them all and move them here. I am looking for another one.

IMO well worth the money. Durable, but chubby at 64cc . Now, with 79 cc and 8 pin, a joy.

yeah definitely not as easy to find as the mountain of posts here leads you to believe :msp_sad:

Many thanks for the kind offer, but first I have to procure the saw from Home Depot......:):smile2: The rental manager said he had EIGHT 6401's so he's expecting HD corporate to tell him to get rid of some.

if you happen to get an extra i'd be interested in buying it, local Home Depot here doesn't even have tool rental

our three

Between my father and I, we have three. He has a stock one and a 79cc. I have a 84cc. The BB's both have 8pins and set up with 20" bars. We do see a differance between all three, power progresses with displacement. Both BB kits were purchased through Northwoods a AS sponsor. We are very happy. FYI the 84cc is the largest saw we have between us. Hope you find my ramblings helpful.

dolmar 6400

the difference between 6400 and a 7900 I don't believe is as much as some people will have you believe.Just my personal experience.good luck on your test.Steve

I've got a 6401 on the bench right now. I'm installing a OEM 7900 top end milled and woods ported of course.

Here's a 7900 I did awhile back.

[video=youtube;C7O0RQ0BxWY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7O0RQ0BxWY&feature=plcp&context=C48a3de1VDvjVQa1PpcFPyudbfyjPLX-LjI6g_XYoGl0ZxnXvKA_E%3D[/video]

Going from the 64cc (Which have not impressed me) to the OEM 79cc topend will be a very noticeable difference. I haven't had any dealins with the 84cc topend yet to know if they are worth it.

If you cut say and 16-18in. log would the diff. between 64cc and 79/84cc's be that noticeable? RPM's wouldn't be any differant, though torque would. Would you have to get to larger wood to see any real differance?

A sharp 6401 will out cut a dull 7901 every time. If you do not have the equipment and skill to make sharp chains, save the money on the top end and get a sharpening setup. 6400 is no slouch in stock form. I know of several folks who bought those saws intending on going bigger bore, and just can't bring themselves to rip them down. When CAD bites (or wife does not know what to buy for Christmas/birthday) then you can get the bigger top end AND have a sharp chain to put the power to use. In 16" wood, I'd be surprised to see the 6400 very far behind, if at all.

If you cut say and 16-18in. log would the diff. between 64cc and 79/84cc's be that noticeable? RPM's wouldn't be any differant, though torque would. Would you have to get to larger wood to see any real differance?

I have a 6401 while my brother has a 7900. In 16-18" red oak the 7900 is faster. It holds rpm better. I don't think that should be a surprise when with a 15cc difference. Is it enough to make me switch the top end yet? No, I cut more wood this winter than I can burn in 3 years. It took little effort with my 6401 and Dolmar 420. Two saws that are frowned upon on this site for being overweight and underpowered.

Cutting was the easy part hauling it home was the hard part. A sharp Chain is the best mod you can have.

If we get time maybe we can make a video of the 6401 vs 7900.

gg

A sharp 6401 will out cut a dull 7901 every time. If you do not have the equipment and skill to make sharp chains, save the money on the top end and get a sharpening setup. 6400 is no slouch in stock form. I know of several folks who bought those saws intending on going bigger bore, and just can't bring themselves to rip them down. When CAD bites (or wife does not know what to buy for Christmas/birthday) then you can get the bigger top end AND have a sharp chain to put the power to use. In 16" wood, I'd be surprised to see the 6400 very far behind, if at all.

A very good post Tim. Without being able to make a chain really sharp a more powerful engine is a waste of time. I have spent as much time learning to file as any other saw related skill I've acquired. A smaller saw with a well filed, self feeding chain is my favorite when it comes to working up a pile of wood. The 066s and 395s get real heavy, real fast to me.......of course I'm overweight and lazy. :laugh:

I have a 6401 and a 7900 top end of my own on the shelf. I have no serious plans to install the larger bore any time soon. The 6401 is a powerful saw as it is. That and I have ported saws from 100cc down if the need for more grunt should arise.

I did just add an HD filter system and a matching black hood......

I love the way it looks

I did just add an HD filter system and a matching black hood......

attachment.php

View attachment 234420

Back