6401 woes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FourMoCajuns

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK here is where I stand on my Makita 6401. If I set the choke and pull once then take off choke and pull 4 more times and raw fuel is spewing out of the muffler. All this is without the decomp button pressed. The only way to get it started is to hold the throttle wide open and pull like crazy. I really want to make this a 7900 but will not even try until this is resolved unless this is caused by compression in the 130# range.
Help guys....... please!

Have you done a carb kit?

I havent looked at other posts of yours yet, but have you done the carb? I have a Husq blower that did the same thing last year, and when I did the carb I found a minute piece of "something" in the carb and after the new kit was in voila, it was fixed.
I also have a 6401 and I was wondering if this happens to you during a cold start or warm. I ask this because I have never had a saw that builds up as much tank pressure as the 6401.
My Stihls and Husq and even the old Olympyk don't build that much pressure. Just wondering, good Luck Cajun...

Jason

flooded !

was your saw lying clutch cover side down for any leingth of time, transport ect.with half tank or more of fuel. i have experienced this problem a few years ago when i started using the tear drop desighned powerhead.serious crank case flooding as you have described possible due to the tank pressures these tank desighns build,it does not occur however when they are sat upright for transport, at least in my case it stopped. depending on your carb though.a leak down test may be in order. this happened to a couple of powerheads that i bought new. great saws though.

Do you have spark??????

Reason I asked is because I had a similar problem with a McCulloch 1010 that I recently restored. In fact, I had the exact same thing happen with an Echo blower that I fixed last week also. I had spark but when I'd pull it wouldn't do anything except start smelling like gas. I'd pull the plug, wipe it off and it would start (sometimes). So I got to thinking as to why it would run fine after it was started but it was insanely difficult to start (due to flooding, gas coming out the muffler).

So, what fixed the problem with the Mac and the Echo was, I re-adjusted the coil so that it was closer to the flywheel. My thought was that they would run fine once started because the flywheel was spinning fast enough to create the necessary energy. But when pull starting, it wasn't spinning fast so didn't have a strong enough spark. After I re-positioned the coil closer to the flywheel, it fired on the first pull with the choke off (on both).

Food for thought .....

Latest posts

Back