660 bar length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogdad

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am waiting for my 660 to come in and wanted opinions on what length to put on it. I have a 460 w/ a 32". How will it handle longer than 36" or should I stick to the 36" bar? thanks

I've run a 42" bar with Oregon 75cjx (full chisel, full skip, durapro) chain with mine in softwood before, and it did pretty well. Wouldn't want to do it with anything less than perfect conditions, ie sharp chain, softwood, no knots. It did pull through pretty well though. If you're in Louisiana, I imagine that the only stuff that big you'd be cutting would be hardwood, so I don't know how much luck you'd have with it.
Although I was pretty surprised when I went down there this fall how easily the hardwoods did cut. In the picture in my avatar, I'm cutting a hardwood (no idea what) down there with a lightly modded 044 with a 32" bar fully buried into the tree, and it cut right through pretty easily.

I have a 36 inch bar with Stihl RS chain. Works very well in 30' Oak. Had it in a 60" Pican and it went right through it also. Just needs to be sharp. Really like a 24" bar with RS chain for cutting 20-25" Oak into firewood rounds.

Hal

We just run a 25 inch bar around here. Don't get the chance to cut too many trees bigger than 50 inch.

We use them for limbing mainly.

My personal 066 has a 20 inch on it. It pulls it fine.:greenchainsaw:

Fred

Latest posts

Back