660 crankcase question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazzytom

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am a husky guy who just purchased a 660 and the tank is cracked at the front of the saw, is that part of the crankcase on this saw or can I purchase just the tank like on a husqavarna? Also is there a site that would have the necessary parts for that repair? The saw has a compression of 140, is that good or should it be higher because i know my huskys run 150+ but i didnt know if stihl ran a lower cylinder compression or if I need to re-ring.:confused:

140 isn't terrible, but it's not good either. I've seen landing saws running as low as 130.

Yes, you can get the tank as a separate part, it's expensive. The 660s are worth fixing up.

I am a husky guy who just purchased a 660 and the tank is cracked at the front of the saw, is that part of the crankcase on this saw or can I purchase just the tank like on a husqavarna? Also is there a site that would have the necessary parts for that repair? The saw has a compression of 140, is that good or should it be higher because i know my huskys run 150+ but i didnt know if stihl ran a lower cylinder compression or if I need to re-ring.:confused:

Are you referring to the oil tank or fuel tank (you mentioned it being on the front of the saw)? The oil tank is part of the crankcase- is it something that can be patched?-- crankcases are a bit more in depth to deal with as far as replacement. If it's the fuel tank, you can watch eBay and maybe find one for $60-100ish. Those aren't terribly hard to replace. You may be able to get a parts crankcase with crankshaft for about the same price- but would need to check it over good and replace the seals.

Baileys has new parts, Chainsawr.com has used. I know there are others. Maybe someone on the trading post has what you need though.

140psi isn't terrible (as JacobJ said), but reringing it wouldn't hurt, and isn't too expensive (just takes time).

The oil tank is definitely part of the crankcase, and the only way to replace is with a matched set of case halves. That being said they should not be that hard to come by as there are a lot of 660's out there. I am sure it would be worth your while to get that saw up and running they are an awesome tool.

Latest posts

Back