660 durability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to hear from some individuals that use a 660... Either professional use or just home firewood cutting. A friend of mine said the bearings and crank only last about a year! He doesn't have one but that's what he heard. I've had one for several months with no issues. I think that's all BS but I'd like to hear from some professionals.
I bought my first 066 in '92..one of the first ones our area got (Magnum, redeye, dual port, 25" bar). At that time I was cutting full time on a crew that took out Almond and Walnut orchards, getting paid by the cord...cut, split, piled at the stump, brush piled between the rows. Some of the guys would literally burn up 2 saws a year but most of us got many years out of our equipment. We cut around 6hrs a day, 6days/week depending on weather and usually ran 2 saws, trading off each tank to let them cool down. I did around 3cord/day for a couple years with the 66 and eventually stopped the full time gig. I've probably cut a couple thousand cord of wood with this saw by now from the small hardwoods (Almond) to big oak to 6' diameter and big pine in the Sierras every summer. I've worn out 4-5 25" bars a 36" and one 42" over the years...God knows how many chains :p Originally I ran Stihl mix but switched to special synthetic stuff and higher ratio recommend by Dozer Dan several years ago when I had him build my 346xp. The 066 is stock but other than opening up the muffler a little more.
I still have it and use it when I can...don't cut nearly as much any more...maybe 50cord a year mainly for a resort in the mountains + what I burn. I replaced the piston last year but that's about it other than general maintenance.

If your buddy blew a crank/bearings in a year he either used the wrong mix or used a crappy air filter.

I bought my first 066 in '92..one of the first ones our area got (Magnum, redeye, dual port, 25" bar). At that time I was cutting full time on a crew that took out Almond and Walnut orchards, getting paid by the cord...cut, split, piled at the stump, brush piled between the rows. Some of the guys would literally burn up 2 saws a year but most of us got many years out of our equipment. We cut around 6hrs a day, 6days/week depending on weather and usually ran 2 saws, trading off each tank to let them cool down. I did around 3cord/day for a couple years with the 66 and eventually stopped the full time gig. I've probably cut a couple thousand cord of wood with this saw by now from the small hardwoods (Almond) to big oak to 6' diameter and big pine in the Sierras every summer. I've worn out 4-5 25" bars a 36" and one 42" over the years...God knows how many chains :p Originally I ran Stihl mix but switched to special synthetic stuff and higher ratio recommend by Dozer Dan several years ago when I had him build my 346xp. The 066 is stock but other than opening up the muffler a little more.
I still have it and use it when I can...don't cut nearly as much any more...maybe 50cord a year mainly for a resort in the mountains + what I burn. I replaced the piston last year but that's about it other than general maintenance.

If your buddy blew a crank/bearings in a year he either used the wrong mix or used a crappy air filter.

Dude you should write a song about that! We can all sing it at the next GTG. Or everybody writes one verse about a saw topic song to some popular song and all the verses make the song. I'll sing your part iffen you're too shy.

Well... my first DP 066 Mag blew the bearings out pretty fast, but I bought it used from an arborist and it has some hours on it. I do not know how well it was taken care of, and my guess is that they were run hard. Asking around then (here on AS and locally) I found out that was not that uncommon. Clutch side bearing goes and it takes out the oil pump by the time you know what happened. I parted out that saw on Ebay rather than split the cases and pop in a spendy set of new bearings and oil pump. There was an 066 owner with a clutch side bearing that blew the same way mine did recently posted here. At the time mine blew they said that was more common in 044 saws, but that has not been what I have experienced or heard myself. It may have more to do with the heavy AL flywheel of the early 066 models. I had a later model 066 with the poly flywheel and I did not have any problems with that saw other than a coil failing on it (easy to replace).

Mine ran fine for about 3 years, until it was roasted in a truck fire. I never abused it, but I gave'er a workout in Hedge and Oak whenever she came out of the truck...

Latest posts

Back