660 has problems clearing noodles....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good noodle clearing generally requires some practice, paying attention to the chip stream to PREVENT it from plugging.
I was running both saws. My technique must need to change when using the 660, because I had no problems whatsoever w/ the 390(scratching my head)

Removing the catcher roller does help, but makes the saw less all purpose. Sharp skip (preferably square) helps, along with being aware of the shaving stream.
This 660 didn't come with a roller catcher on the dawg. It has an aluminum chain catch on the underbelly of the saw. We even went to the Stihl dealer to get some new chain and asked about getting the roller catcher. We were told they don't have one for it...?

By my 066 also does a fine job noodling....It does have the taller side cover (full wrap), but I am not sure a shorter cover would make any difference for noodling. Haven't tried one.
I don't want anyone to think this 660 doesn't noodle well, it just currently doesn't keep up with the 390. I removed the aluminum chaincatch and it helped a lot but the saw still doesn't clear chips incredibly well.

PNW clutch cover? Havent seen one, can't get them here. But read that they are designed for better chip clearance. Maybe it will clear the noodles ok.

Ordered one from an AS member, partnumber: 1122 648 0401.

Maybe this will help, other members will know it better because of using them.

Lex

Cool Polexie. Thanks for the part number as I'm sure my friend is going to want to do anything he possibly can to make it faster than it is currently!

You need to post some videos of that. The hardcore Stihl people aren't going to believe that story. Seeing is believing. :clap:

I do have videos of it, but I can't seem to figure out what file extension they are. I can not find anything to play the videos. They look fine on my friends cell phone but when downloaded will not play on the computer :(

If the 660 had better chain speed it would have smoked the 390 easily. :popcorn:
I ought to tach each saw in the cut just for sh*t's and giggles.

If any saw has wrap handles, you can hold it unside down and blow the chips away from you. No clogging, no problem.
Like B_Turner said, I too feel a bit uncomfortable when doing that. I tried it a few times but not only scared me a bit, but felt awkward too.

Thanks for the great replie gang. I'll let ya'll know if I get the videos figured out or get the 660 clearing noodles better.

You have to remember that Stihl people are not concerned with cutting speed. They're concerned with having a person close by to take all the extra money from them. :)
Alright space why haven't you told us about your new bride.

donkeybridexx4.jpg

This 660 didn't come with a roller catcher on the dawg. It has an aluminum chain catch on the underbelly of the saw. We even went to the Stihl dealer to get some new chain and asked about getting the roller catcher. We were told they don't have one for it...?

hogwash!

lazy arse dealer.

660 ipl # 18 = 1122 650 7700
includes roller, bolt, nut, retainer clip.
also need: 660 ip # 21 = 1122 640 8300
bumper strip that fits in place of aluminum catcher.

660 noodles just fine with roller installed and aluminum catcher removed.

hogwash!

lazy arse dealer.

660 ipl # 18 = 1122 650 7700
includes roller, bolt, nut, retainer clip.
also need: 660 ip # 21 = 1122 640 8300
bumper strip that fits in place of aluminum catcher.

660 noodles just fine with roller installed and aluminum catcher removed.

Excellent. I can walk back in to that dealer with those part #'s. We had no idea that the aluminum catcher has a bumper strip to replace it! Awesome. I'll bet if we ditched the aluminum catch, and ran the dawg-roller it should noodle like a dream. With the dawg catch I don't think we'll even run the one on the belly of the saw. Thanks Volks-man.

MMFaller39 wrote:Yeah you can tell the difference in speed with an 8, I run one on my 440 and my 394.
I certainly noticed on the 372 but can't say I liked the extra speed anymore. Maybe I'll like the 8 rim on the 390 w/ 28" bar alot more.

-Chad

I've never had a problem with Stihl's clearing noodles, they clear much better than the 2171 I had.

Take off the small pos chain catcher and add the roller.

Well, if you drop the words "part" and "Stihl" you should be able to squeeze it in there. We would never know that you are a Stihl fan. I know it is real hard to tell. :D

Then the noobs would just ask more questions like, "will these fit a husky or Dolmar".:D

Latest posts

Back