660 or 2186

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cary911

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
In the market for a larger saw. Recently purchased a 441 and have been satisfied with the saw. Always partial to jonsered and have been considering the 2186. Aside from a few more cc's, some have said that the 660 is in a completely different class than the j-red. Can anybody explain why?

Jonsered 2165
Stihl 441

Last edited:
Not cc's

Its not the power im refering to, its just been said the the stihl is considered to be in a whole diferent class compared to the jonsered. Quality, powerband, etc. I just want to know the better of the 2 saws

Its not the power im refering to, its just been said the the stihl is considered to be in a whole diferent class compared to the jonsered. Quality, powerband, etc. I just want to know the better of the 2 saws

The 660 is an older Stihl, so the Jred is going to have it beat on AV and filtration. Both are equally well made.

The Jred will be lighter, less powerful, and less expensive. The Stihl is not in any other 'class' other than bigger.

Last edited:
I like the 385 390 or 2186 a lot better than a 66.T hese saws are just as durable as stihl mine get run 8 to 10 hous everyday . My huskys seem to break down less than my stihls.

The 660 is an older Stihl, so the Jred is going to have it beat on AV and filtration. Both are equally well made.

The Jred will be lighter, less powerful, and less expensive. The Stihl is not in any other 'class' other than bigger.

That is if you forget about the class with more power...;)

I agree that the J-Red 2186 is not the best comparison. I would compare the 395XP (or the 390XP). As for weight, the 395XP weighs .9 pounds more than the 660. The 390XP weighs .8 pounds less than the 660.

If it were my decision, I'd go with the 390XP. Very smooooooooth saw and almost 1 pound lighter.

All that said - there is nothing wrong with the 660. I don't run one, but I've cut with some guys who do. They really love 'em. I've heard that they are a little more harsh than the Huskys/J-Reds on vibration fatigue, though.

JQ

Latest posts

Back