660 or 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i ran a 661 for 2 solid days falling a few weeks ago. i don't like the blocky feel of it but then that's why i didn't like the 660 either but seems the 661 is worse. i might recommend a 390 husky :laugh:
Some don't like the colour either, apparently it shows the dust after they have been sitting on a shelf for a few years! LOL
Fangst

anti vibe far nicer on 661. no longer feel it in my elbows from running the 660. but my joints are extremely flexible. So may not be the case for everyone

gas mileage probably 20-25% better with 661

661 has a lot more torque

there are pluses and minuses with each saw. And I guess I do wish I hadn't traded my last 660R away. Some days I wish I was still tuning it with the little orange screwdriver and others I like the 661 more.

661 is one hell of a saw. Stihl made a lot of improvements over the 660. But I still like the 660R. 660R is the way to go if your gonna do it, large clutch cover, wrap handle, nice spikes, and most importantly it has the high output oiler. 661 has the same oiler if it's 661 or 661R.

few other thoughts...

like the metal flywheel on the 661

661 seems to force you to let it warm up. Which is fine by me and probably a good thing. But may be a problem for others.

661 has IMO a better air filter ...as in it's larger with a lot more surface area

660 lets you tighten down the back cover as tight as you can get it. While the 661 is just a single right turn. The air filter is a good snug fit but I really wish you could tighten it down harder then the new mechanism lets you.

I personally like the throttle/trig on the 660 better. Not sure how to explain it but there is more travel/range vs the 661.

Stainless muff on the 661 is an improvement. But I do miss the noise of my 3x ported muff on the 660. You just can't and don't want to do that on the 661...not even a dual port.

white elbow on the 661R looks bad IMO. but can be painted black and I did just that.

captured nuts on the clutch cover - don't know why but I like the non captured nuts on the 660.

spikes - there are aftermkt options out there so im not going to say anything.

flippy vs non flippy caps - I go back n forth on this.

weight - they weight exactly the same to the oz 660r vs 661r

starter cover - i hate that the black stihl gets rubbed off easy on the 660. how's that for picky! lol

tank - like that it's easier to see the gas in the 660. but it's pretty damn easy to jsut open the cap on the 661 and check so im adjusting to that.

If the muffler is done just right on the 660 they can be pretty close on the shorter bars. The torque of the 661 helps it greatly on the long bar and or long cuts. 661 is far superior out of the box...I played and played and played with muffler mods on the 660. I mean it has to be done just right. Most guys just open it up way to much..fine for ported but not so on non ported. That was my experience anyway.

Chain - I like that I can easily run 404 chain on the 661. 404 has a lot of benefits, but requires more torque which the 661 has.

I warm my saws up before I start cutting. Just something I've always done some people say it's a waste, but o well! I cant wait to pick it up!!!!

Back