660vs395

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Timberhauler
Good choice I think the 088 is a far better saw myself.But you sure have alot of saws how guys do you have working for you.

6...Four full time,and two part time...Not including Chic when she pitches in...I keep a large stock of saws to keep from having to worry about having one tear up...In that case,I can just grab another....Also in case some are stolen,I always have back-up....I went so long only being able to have one or two saws,I decided after being robbed clean that time I mentioned in another thread,that I wasn't going to have that problem again if I could help it.

The 3120 came in earlier last week.I've played with it a time or two out at the dumpsite....I've been stuck on the same job since clearing and chipping three acres of pine trees that are 24 inches and down,so that is not a worthy place to compare the two...Probably towards the end of the week,I'm taking down a couple of red oaks that are over 32 inches,and a hickory on the same job that is about 24 inches...I'm gonna take the mighty 088 and the new 3120 out there and see how they compare...I regret buying the 3120,it may be for sale soon because I really hate using those big saws all day...The 395 or the 660 will do everything the 3120 or the 088 will do around here with the exception of a few trees here and there and are much easier on the back....BUT,the bigger saws will do it just a little faster.:D

Timber Hualer . IfI had the cash on hand i buy your 3120 . . try it with a lnger bar for soem reason they seem to work better witha bar 50 inches or longer .
if you need yo cuta tree over 32 inches witha 395 usea 50 inche bar it will take it and . I would probably use a fiullchiles chain to fal the thinmg then a semi chisle to buck it .
i di try a 20 inch bar on my 394 all I can say is it eats limbs and even fals a few trees as if they we not even ther . I gota get one use or new at s0ome point . I kep a 32 on the 394 anda 36 on the 395 . I use a semi chisle and full chiulse depending on condtions .
I like th e feel and weight of the bigger saw but my back does not .
So I zip[ though limbing with a 575 and 24 inch bar with Big Dogs so it is like a 20 inch bar .

My project Stihl M<s 660 iscoming along slowly too slowly but i enjoy it as a way to sepnd time . gettingparts is not easy

give that 3120 achance . you mihht like after a few tanks or so
ar ypou ri unning itwith high octane fule 3120s seem to like that too aSdo most saws which sucks v but better to keep a the saw happy and r8nningas well as possible .

6...Four full time,and two part time...Not including Chic when she pitches in...I keep a large stock of saws to keep from having to worry about having one tear up...In that case,I can just grab another....Also in case some are stolen,I always have back-up....I went so long only being able to have one or two saws,I decided after being robbed clean that time I mentioned in another thread,that I wasn't going to have that problem again if I could help it.

Ya that sucks when some a.s rips you off I got burned for 4 saws 2 years ago sure like to find that guy.Anyways are you right in a city or in a rual area 4 full timers must be lots of work around your area.

Are you kidding or are your arms/fingers really f-ed up? I can see the typos but the lines are just not called for:jester:

I don't know if mtnman has damage, but I can attest that it is a REAL thing; I know there are positive links between longterm vibration exposure and nerve damage. Like how your fingers don't have quite the dexterity they should after running a sander for hours on end. Kinda feels like they're still a little tickly for a while. Older saws, sanders, and older jackhammers are supposed to be awful for you, not that it keeps me from running mine. From what I understand it can range from pins and needles numbness sensations to worse than full-blown arthritis symptoms.

Ya that sucks when some a.s rips you off I got burned for 4 saws 2 years ago sure like to find that guy.Anyways are you right in a city or in a rual area 4 full timers must be lots of work around your area.

I live in a rural area...But not too far outside the city...I grew up living an hour drive from town,and said that I didn't ever want to live that far out again...

Are you kidding or are your arms/fingers really f-ed up? I can see the typos but the lines are just not called for:jester:

One Ican tell you are a week end warrior wi itha expansive saw that ypur really do m not need I cansee ya wo ithn7 your 3120 or MS 8880 thinking yer all topugh but do this for a lvinmg boy and your with think differnt the lines I have no idea where they came from. Maybe you can begin tryting to start yer big bad saw fro the weekend ya havea few das to figure it out it Grow up and get life making fun of some one is a sign of imaturity and l probbly you are some :newbie: Thinking yer all tough with your new saw hgive g fun and get some PPE
I bet you do not even know what 3120 or MS 880 are

Go troll elsewhere and show off your shiny new saw there :notrolls2:
OH yeay drinking and psoting UM not good . Sort of like felling and drinkng good do yer self some harm there :newbie:

You probably could not rfell a tree with 394 /395 o066 or Ms600
bet stick to smal saw witth the thing on the bar to stop your fr0om making borgut and those slow safty chains and bars best fro newbies lie you

Funny thing is newbie I bet I was one of the gutys who got yout power back on or you home on time to p trun on yer puter and offend folks
w npo now try both respecting your betters ans all on thissite newbie now what is the differnce betwen a 3120 anda MS880 out side of specs from a book:ices_rofl:

One Ican tell you are a week end warrior wi itha expansive saw that ypur really do m not need I cansee ya wo ithn7 your 3120 or MS 8880 thinking yer all topugh but do this for a lvinmg boy and your with think differnt the lines I have no idea where they came from. Maybe you can begin tryting to start yer big bad saw fro the weekend ya havea few das to figure it out it Grow up and get life making fun of some one is a sign of imaturity and l probbly you are some :newbie: Thinking yer all tough with your new saw hgive g fun and get some PPE
I bet you do not even know what 3120 or MS 880 are

Go troll elsewhere and show off your shiny new saw there :notrolls2:
OH yeay drinking and psoting UM not good . Sort of like felling and drinkng good do yer self some harm there :newbie:

You probably could not rfell a tree with 394 /395 o066 or Ms600
bet stick to smal saw witth the thing on the bar to stop your fr0om making borgut and those slow safty chains and bars best fro newbies lie you

Funny thing is newbie I bet I was one of the gutys who got yout power back on or you home on time to p trun on yer puter and offend folks
w npo now try both respecting your betters ans all on thissite newbie now what is the differnce betwen a 3120 anda MS880 out side of specs from a book:ices_rofl:

Damn buddy, I didn't mean to strike a nerve. I just had no idea that running a saw for that long could do that to ones hands. I don't fell big trees either because I do not have the experience that you folks do. When a tree is near a house I call someone else like yourself or timber, a pro. If at all possible I use the backhoe to fell. I don' have a big saw like the 088/3120, I would like to have one but no need for it. My biggest saw is my 044, that is plenty for me. Sorry if my post offended you, did you see the jester at the end? A mod can edit it if they want.

Last edited:
9 pin

Timberhauler,

Why not try gearing up the 3120 with a 9 pin .325 pitch to see if the bigger engine can handle the increased chain speed? If you're running a 7 pin .375, the 9 pin .325 will give you 11% more chain speed. An 8 pin .375 will give you 14% more chain speed.

Hey timber I will say I love my 3120 for milling but, when I cut firewood with it for the first 5 tanks before I put it on the mill wasn't very impressed. Will give you a heads up on the 390xp also. Its at washington hot saws right now.

well,i used an ms660 for the first time yesterday

and it's no 395xp for sure.it was lighter and more maneuverable but just didn't have the power.i'd compare it more to the 385xp.it was a really nice saw though,i enjoyed using it but then i pulled out my 395 and forgot about it.

and it's no 395xp for sure.it was lighter and more maneuverable but just didn't have the power.i'd compare it more to the 385xp.it was a really nice saw though,i enjoyed using it but then i pulled out my 395 and forgot about it.

I have run my 066 and 395 back to back for hours on end, and on mine the overall performance is about equal (typically run a 32v-36 inch bar). The 066 has a bit more low end grunt, but if I'm not heavy handed the 395 keeps up.

Both run great and always have, although the 395 kept getting stronger for at least 20 tanks and the Stihl ran strong right out of the box. 066 WAY lighter to run but 395 WAY smoother and is my favorite of the two.

I sort of prefer the sound the 066 make, though, when really honking. Kind of like a small turbine or something. Also I will say that the 395 is not cold blooded or anything, but gets a bit stronger when fully warmed up after a couple big cuts.

Last edited:

I thought my 660 was rather "doggy" out of the box until I modded the muffler. Big difference! Lets it breathe alot better. Not sure how it can run with that tiny little hole in the stock muffler.

Last edited:
I thought my 660 was rather "doggy" out of the box until I modded the muffler. Big difference! Lets it breathe alot better. Not sure how it can run with that tiny little hole in the stock muffler.

I tried a dual port cover on my 066 , but I felt it didn't help enough to justify how LOUD it was. So I didn't keep it. But this is just me.

A buddy bought an 046 at the same time and the dual port seemed to help more. Still way louder, but he's a bit deaf and likes the extra volume.:laugh:

I'll just throw in that my 066 easily outcuts a 385 with a longer bar. Just wish it didn't make my hands tingle after a couple of hours.

Last edited:
I have run my 066 and 395 back to back for hours on end, and on mine the overall performance is about equal (typically run a 32v-36 inch bar). The 066 has a bit more low end grunt, but if I'm not heavy handed the 395 keeps up. ...

Fits very well with the dyno test results by DLG/KWF.........;)

I kinda felt the same way.

Is your 660 stock or modded?.......I'm talking about pure stock saws...Nothing has been done to either my 660's or my 395's.

Latest posts

Back