670 vs 272

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished putting together a 670 with a husky66 p/c,carb, &muffler...I Love it!! The 66 uses the closed port 50mm gildroni p/c, it’s a high quality piston and cylinder, made in Italy
The 670chassis makes a lot faster saw than the husky61,66 did I swapped that setup on all three!!

As far as I know, the Husky 66 top end would down-grade the power a bit compared to the original 670 one, as it is an open-port (transfer) top end, not a closed port one.
That same open-port top end was used on the non-xp Husky 268 later btw.

I think husky discontinued the 266se and it got a red color as the Jonsered 620 or 630 if I remember correctly. I was working for the husky dealer part time. I think in time Jonsered took the 630 to a new level.

Husky didn't really discontinue the 266se around 1986, they just changed the model designation to 266xp.
No significant changes happened at the time of the designation change, but the 266se got a larger 17.5 mm carb and slightly higher power specs some time in 1985 (= maybe a year, but likely less, earlier).
As far as I know, the 670 had a 17.5 mm carb all the time, but it is a bit unclear when they (Husky that is, but there was a Jonsered design team) started making it.

Just worked on a 670 Champ and from what I can see the engineering is superior to the Huskys of the era. It has a recirculating system on the carb, it has a barbed impulse instead of through the intake block. To me that’s a real plus as it seemed a lot of the older Huskys would have a weak or difficult impulse signal through the block system they used.
A lot of similarities though...you can put a 272 cylinder on and keep the 670 intake but need to add the barb for the impulse off the transfer port.
Overall I think Jared had better thought out saws in that era.

272 all together with Huztl crank, piston and ring. Gaskets needed a couple holes corrected. Fired her up and runs pretty strong.
Need to sink it into some wood asap.

Just worked on a 670 Champ and from what I can see the engineering is superior to the Huskys of the era. It has a recirculating system on the carb, it has a barbed impulse instead of through the intake block. To me that’s a real plus as it seemed a lot of the older Huskys would have a weak or difficult impulse signal through the block system they used.
A lot of similarities though...you can put a 272 cylinder on and keep the 670 intake but need to add the barb for the impulse off the transfer port.
Overall I think Jared had better thought out saws in that era.

There surely were some differences between the orange and the red versions back then, even when made at the same time, at the same factory (Husqvarna). I don't really know how much of this was caused by the Jonsered design team though (or how much influence they generally had) - and some changes were closer connected to the time-line, than if the saw was orange or red.

There were less difference between the orange and the red versions with later models.

As far as I know, no chainsaws were made at the Jonsereds factory after 1979. Between 1979 and 1987 most Swedish made Jonsereds/Jonsered saws were made at the Partner factory, the 6xx series being the only exception (The 630 from 1982). From 1987 all Swedish made Jonsered and Partner saws were made at the Husky factory, regardless who originally designed them.

One matter I never have found any reliable and conclusive evidence on is when the 670 first was made. It certainly was before 1987, and likely after 1982 - but the exact year is elusive....

Personally i think a 272 kug stock inplace of a 670 jug is a step slightly backwards
A 670 is a much sportier running engine. The 272 is your family wagon or 4 door sedan. Where the 670 is like your cadillac cts or trailblazer ss. Same with yhe 630 always felt like a more fun saw then the 61 162 266 268s call me crazy but i still feel that the jonnys of that era were better runners then the comparable huskys. Your results and opinions may vary.

The 50MM 670 and the 268XP cyls are the practically the same except for the different intake styles. They both have much larger transfers than the say 266XP.....so much so that if you look at both from the outside, the transfer bulge had to be machined away so the flywheel had enough clearance. You don't see that on the other cyls. I always thought it was a shame that Husky only ran the 268XP for such a short time......the non XP versions with the Gilardoni top ends were nice enough saws but pretty docile compared the XP versions and the 670.

I agree with that. I have little experience with the 268 xp but some with the reg 268. Docile is a good word to describe them. Maybe ive just gotten some real good jugs with the jonnys ive rebuilt. The 272 could have been a dud too. Ive ran ported ones that were sporty like the jonnys but stock they were just a good torque kinda blah saw. Ive learned a ton off your vids. They helped a bunch on the blending of saws topends coils carbs and covers. Thank you

Yeah in my experience the 272 and 268XP are as near equal as you can get as far as actual cutting speed with 20" bars.....the 272Xp doesn't really earn it's keep until bar length exceeds 24"...it's in this area, with a 28 or 30 inch bar where you can really see the difference. Of course our own expectations and perceptions are subject to many variables with trying to evaluate saws, like chain type or sharpness, the wood we're cutting, fuel, carb tuning, etc. the list goes on and on. The overall condition of the saws themselves has a lot to do with how we experience them too. I've had many saws that started and ran fine, cut good but had seriously worn rings with end gaps in the 0.020"+ plus range......a new ring or new piston and ring completely changed the saw even though it ran just fine before.

My memory of running my 670 was as stated. A real perky lively engine and a revving demon. This 272 not so much but seems ready to work. The PO has about twice normal raker filing so will see in wood

My memory of running my 670 was as stated. A real perky lively engine and a revving demon. This 272 not do much but seems ready to work. The PO has about twice normal raker filing so will see in wood

Well.....you know there was a reason they renamed them "The Champ"...!!!

Saw Troll
In the fall of 1987 I was sitting in a bar in Atikokan Ontario Canada and met the travelling sales rep for Jonsereds.I was cutting pulp then and had Jonsereds 630s and Husky 266s.I asked him why they didnt have a Jonsereds equal to the 266xp he replied they were coming out with an equal saw but never said a model number.This was the hey day of chain saw logging in North western Ontario.
Noro saw in ThunderBay was the largest selling dealer of Husqvarna chain saws in North America.

Back