7 tooth VS. 8 tooth rims?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7t will give more torque on most saws if you're talking 3/8 pitch. 8t will give about 14% more chain speed, but 14% less power. same basic deal on .325 I think.

Husky nut said:
husky 395 slightly modded and cutting upto 36" pines and oaks

on 2 of my 395's i have 8 tooth sprocket's. one has a 20in bar and one a 28in bar. on the other 2 i have 7 tooth sprockets they run 32 and 36in bars.

Rims are only $5 each. Why not have both and when the situation calls for it switch them out. Small wood or short bar run the 8. In big wood run a 7. Play with different combinations and see what you like best. For extra $5 it seems like cheap entertainment to me. :p

I agree with Dean. I've played with both on various bar lengths in different woods. And then settled on the combinations that work best for me, in the hard oak I usually cut. But my rule of thumb is short bar 8 and long bar 7.

I too agree with dean. I run mostly just 8T rims, but then again, I prefer 16" bars too. there isnt really much need for more than that here I guess.

well $5 bucks to most but free to me (work at a husky / stihl service shop)...i posted this to make sure these saws acted just like racing dirt bikes with the optional drive spoket tooth variations (something i'm familar with)

I seem to have luck running the 8t on 20 inch and shorter bars, but I generally like the 7t on anything longer...

klickitatsacket said:
Rims are only $5 each. Why not have both and when the situation calls for it switch them out. Small wood or short bar run the 8. In big wood run a 7. Play with different combinations and see what you like best. For extra $5 it seems like cheap entertainment to me. :p
Ditto from me too!

I like to use 3/8"x8 and 15" bar on my 361 when cutting small stuff
- mostly the setup is 3/8"x7 and 18" bar.

Stihl Crazy said:
KF, what are you running on the 880? I have a 10 on mine but only 21 inch bar.

were running the same set up.............i have a 10 tooth sprocket and 20 in bar.

Lawn Masters said:
7t will give more torque on most saws if you're talking 3/8 pitch. 8t will give about 14% more chain speed, but 14% less power. same basic deal on .325 I think.
This difference 14% 7/8 is valid for all pitches,
but 0.375-7 is by diam comparable to 0.325-8 :)

Latest posts

Back