75cc Chinese with 660 hp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You had me at Chinese. No.
Lol hey I've bein hammering on one of those 62cc dereal saws with a 20in echo bar and sthil chain for a solid 2 months and its held up surprisingly well. I thought the same until I took a $125 shot in the dark and I dont regret it one bit.

Little by little, generation by generation maybe there getting the bugs out of the Chinese saws. Maybe Husqvarna and Stihl gave farmertec the ok to produce older outdated saws. Maybe China is paying royalties? They say the 395 & 3120 is next from farmertec. They offer the g262, g372, g288 now.

Little by little, generation by generation maybe there getting the bugs out of the Chinese saws. Maybe Husqvarna and Stihl gave farmertec the ok to produce older outdated saws. Maybe China is paying royalties? They say the 395 & 3120 is next from farmertec. They offer the g262, g372, g288 now.
Its all about the patent running out.

Several guys have taken those saws and modded the hell out of them. Bell hopper on YouTube has a 660 clone that is a screamer and rips through North Carolina hardwood and it does amazing.

It doesn’t matter where anything is made. I get the whole “made in America” thing, but today it means nothing. Jobs? Hell, we have more work here than people to fill them, so that thought is antiquated.

Labor is labor. It’s all about the company using that labor to build the product that is designed with superior engineering, using better materials, and implementing strict quality control.

Here is a great article about Husqvarna. Their stuff is built all over the world, China included, and nobody gripes about them. https://fireandsaw.com/where-are-husqvarna-chainsaws-made/

Honda makes most of their small engines in China but they run those plants with Japanese management and QC. Nobody calls that Honda mower a Chinese made POS.

I’m an oldtimer myself but the world has changed. We need to get over the made in the US idea because it doesn’t mean anything anymore. Sure, you can impress your friends with a $200 snap on screw driver, but most of us just want to get the job done and not go in to debt doing it. If that means a $20 made in China screw driver, so be it.

it means nothing about supporting the American worker these days. It’s all about padding the pockets of the billion dollar business owners in a global market.

Honda makes most of their small engines in China but they run those plants with Japanese management and QC. Nobody calls that Honda mower a Chinese made POS.
actually most of the mower engines (GCV series) and decks are made in USA, most of the GX GXV are made in Thailand
probably Honda mowers are more "American made" than most other, if not all other brands!

They'll all be Chinese eventually.
I doubt there'll be any cordless OPE made in the West and that's the way it's all going.

Several guys have taken those saws and modded the hell out of them. Bell hopper on YouTube has a 660 clone that is a screamer and rips through North Carolina hardwood and it does amazing.

It doesn’t matter where anything is made. I get the whole “made in America” thing, but today it means nothing. Jobs? Hell, we have more work here than people to fill them, so that thought is antiquated.

Labor is labor. It’s all about the company using that labor to build the product that is designed with superior engineering, using better materials, and implementing strict quality control.

Here is a great article about Husqvarna. Their stuff is built all over the world, China included, and nobody gripes about them. https://fireandsaw.com/where-are-husqvarna-chainsaws-made/

I’m an oldtimer myself but the world has changed. We need to get over the made in the US idea because it doesn’t mean anything anymore. Sure, you can impress your friends with a $200 snap on screw driver, but most of us just want to get the job done and not go in to debt doing it. If that means a $20 made in China screw driver, so be it.

it means nothing about supporting the American worker these days. It’s all about padding the pockets of the billion dollar business owners in a global market.
I'm an old timer too and you're right. I bought a 372 kit from farmertec when covid first started.. Cost me 200 bucks. I ported it, lowered the squish and opened up the muffler. A neighbor liked it so much he offered me 500 bucks for it. I told him he could get one cheaper online and sold it to him for 350. Everytime I see him he tells me what a great saw it is. I am thinking about getting a 288 kit so I have a big saw around when I need one. 200 bucks as opposed to 600 for an old used one. Sadly alot of manufacturers won't build stuff in the USA or Canada because our cost of living is too high so wages have to be high.

I have a Chinese 50cc saw that rolls around the back of the Ute ( pick up ) for emergency work - can’t kill it , cost me $85au
I just run it a bit oily for tolerance correction 😂
No one steals it , and I would buy another in a second

A few years back the company that logged a new property I purchased was using Stihl MS-660's. Remarkably most were outfitted with 20-24" bars and skip chain. He had three of the "new" MS-661's in the line-up and absolutely HATED them. He said that one of them did OK, but he had to let it warm completely up before attempting any cuts with it, and it was "finicky" anytime you shut it down and attempted a restart within 15-20 minutes. The other two were useless pieces of bovine excrement no matter how many times he took them back to the dealer to correct the issues with them. He was also experimenting with the Chinese 660 clones and buying them to have spare parts for the 660's he still had in the fleet.

He told me that the Chinese P/C's weren't worth two squirts of duck poop. From the first minute he put one in service they didn't make nearly the power of the real ones and they didn't last for ****. He actually brought one to the shop and dropped it off and I spent some time with it on morning, not impressed in the least but it did run OK and started well and didn't give me any issues anyplace.

Here I avoid any "cheap" Chinese saws and will continue to do so. Keep in mind here that it's not because the Chinese can't build a great saw, just don't expect their best efforts at the price point were are looking for and willing to pay for it. Their best effort would rival anything made here, Germany or Sweden, because believe it or not folks they have the technology to equal or better the efforts of anyone else doing that sort of thing. The problem is that we as a consumer have demanded LESS EXPENSIVE alternatives to just about every single item we purchase. This has made outsourcing the name of the game these days and for sure no one buying anything on your list, especially chain saws should expect a premium product when you are only paying 20-30 cents on the dollar for it vs the real thing.

It's a good thing and if anyone going that direction has good success I'm happy for you. Here I avoid any of those saws like the plague. I've learned to surround myself with equipment, specifically chain saws that are 100 percent dead solid reliable in long term service. If not they don't stay in the line-up very long. I also prefer good to excellent power to weight, so any "turds" I've owned over the years have also been sent on down the road.......FWIW.......Cliff

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. A big reason that Stihl and Husky don't still sell these older-style saws anymore is that they don't meet current U.S. emission laws. By selling "repair kits", or even complete saws direct from China to consumer, the Chinese companies are evading these laws. While searching a bit online, I see where a Taiwanese and several U.S. companies were fined back in 2008 for importing saws that didn't meet standards: https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/mtd-and-jenn-feng-clean-air-act-caa-settlement . So, are you doing anything worse emission-wise by using one of these Chinese knock-offs rather than running an old brand-name saw? Probably not, but you could be running a newer, cleaner saw. I know, I know, we all like our old saws (and old cars). But there are almost 8 billion people on this planet today, as compared to 3 billion in 1964. Stuff to consider.

Whats the one thing all the companies that have quality products and parts coming out of china have in common? They supply the materials, manufacturing machinery and babysit every single step of the process. That should tell you everything you need to know about products made by the chinese

Back