7900 & a 32" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rydaddy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know this has come up in other threads, but I am wondering if anyone can give me some real world experience of running a 32" bar on a Woods Port 7900? I have a 28" on my stock MS460 (DP muff cover) and put a major smile on my face while recently burying the bar in a 4' dbh Red Oak. Couldn't have been happier with how it cut, it definitely added to my chain saw addiction! I have a 5' dbh maple tree to tackle, and am hoping my new (not in my hands yet) 7900 will cut with a 32" bar?

As always, any help GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!!

It should be. A post a while back showed a 36" setup on a modded 7900 that was supposed to be a nice setup that the motor easily handled.

Let me know if you need a hand with the tree. I could bring the 075 or 076 out for some large-displacement fun with the 41" bar.

I demo'd one at the P Bunyan show this year. 7900 with 32" 3/8 bar & chain and buried it in some oak. (ripping) I couldn't stop it, no matter how hard I pushed it kept throwing shavings. It'd be hard to believe it wouldn't cut as well or better crosscutting.
Might ask steve (freak) I believe he bought the same saw I demo'd..
-Ralph

got a 32" buried in 40-44 inch maple, cant tell I wasnt cutting with my 16".
used 32" in 28" black oak. Didnt even know wood was there. Run it luv it.
modded here too.

begleytree said:
I demo'd one at the P Bunyan show this year. 7900 with 32" 3/8 bar & chain and buried it in some oak. (ripping) I couldn't stop it, no matter how hard I pushed it kept throwing shavings. It'd be hard to believe it wouldn't cut as well or better crosscutting.
Might ask steve (freak) I believe he bought the same saw I demo'd..
-Ralph

Yup, that is my saw. lol. Damn good runner she is. It has that twang sound to it. I think that means it is officially broken in!

I run a 24" on it, but it will pull the 32" ALOT better than I would have thought stock. I can only imagine what a modded 7900 would do with a 32 or even 36" bar.

Perfect

Thanks for the great help as always guys. Hopefully someday I will be a wealth of knowledge and be able to repay the favors!

Mine, ported by Dan Henry, runs fine, but I want one done by Ed Heard. My ehp 372 is faster than the 7900, though it may have less torque.

I recently ran the 7900 with .404 chain and a 36 inch bar, as my 32" chain was dull. She pulled through the over 36 inch wood I was cutting with ease....it was either cedar or poplar, so soft. But the 32 inch length is fine for most any wood. That said, like most experienced cutters around this board, I prefer shorter bars, if the wood is sized for them.

Back