So I bought a 592xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clean miss

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just couldn't resist Black Friday at HL Supply. So now my big saw went from a Dolmar 7900 to a Husky 592xp. Most of my cutting is in red and white oaks. The Dolmar with a 28" bar could use a little more oomph. Holy Moley, that husky has power to spare, lots in fact.
Which brings me to my question. If I am bucking 16" or less diameter hardwood, the saw is constantly hitting the rev limiter, isn't this wasting available power? Would I not be better off using a 8 pin sprocket? The saw only has 3 tanks of fuel thru it so it should be broken in now. I have noticed on the u tube videos when the saws are being compared to say a 395 that the 592 is hitting the limiter then as well. I would think the 8 pin would use more of the available HP. Or is this a good way to burn up a bar and chain from lack of oil or the piston from overheating? I do cut a sizeable number of 24"+ rounds with it as well, all hardwood.

Just couldn't resist Black Friday at HL Supply. So now my big saw went from a Dolmar 7900 to a Husky 592xp. Most of my cutting is in red and white oaks. The Dolmar with a 28" bar could use a little more oomph. Holy Moley, that husky has power to spare, lots in fact.
Which brings me to my question. If I am bucking 16" or less diameter hardwood, the saw is constantly hitting the rev limiter, isn't this wasting available power? Would I not be better off using a 8 pin sprocket? The saw only has 3 tanks of fuel thru it so it should be broken in now. I have noticed on the u tube videos when the saws are being compared to say a 395 that the 592 is hitting the limiter then as well. I would think the 8 pin would use more of the available HP. Or is this a good way to burn up a bar and chain from lack of oil or the piston from overheating? I do cut a sizeable number of 24"+ rounds with it as well, all hardwood.

Are you standing up and using the bar length and tip? Or is it dogged in? Depth gauges are set to what?

You need to use the torque of the saw not the speed, yea it’s gonna hit the rev limiter in small stuff , put some .404 on that SOB and buried that bar in some big wood , then you’ll know the potential of that saw , muffler mod helps with it to ,

The chain is a new Oregon full skip. Iam cutting with the tip, not dogged in a this is a pile of logs the pipeline company left when they cleaned the right of way last month. Haven't touched the depth gauges or anything else on the chain. Could swap to a Carlton full comp chain.

What is a good way to set depth rakers with a skip tooth chain't? My Husqvarna guide only works with full comp chains. What depth?

clean miss, I am no expert on 592's or Husky's, but these gentlemen seem to have a handle on some of the reasons for your experiences.

Having said all that, I should ask about these newer series of Husq saws, if they are anything like the Stihl 500i's.
I was watching some videos about the 500i's and how to run them right. They are advocating good warm up times for the saw's "brain" to learn itself, then alter your technique of sawing in order to maximize the saw's strengths. I am wondering if this is a similar case scenario with the 592XP.

Full skip on a 28" bar with a saw this powerful is completely unnecessary and makes a light load even lighter. I have a 572xp with a 28" bar and can pull a full comp chain buried through hard wood.

Saws of this size (592xp) are used to take down big trees (guys out west use them on Redwoods) and buck big timber and manage 36" bars. Don't get me wrong-it's an amazing 90cc saw and I wouldn't mind owning one- but I've yet to encounter many situations where I need something like that.

Sounds like overkill in your application. Put a full comp chain on it and save it for the larger wood. On 16" stuff or less I'll often use my 50cc. Less weight= less fatigue.

Full skip on a 28" bar with a saw this powerful is completely unnecessary and makes a light load even lighter. I have a 572xp with a 28" bar and can pull a full comp chain buried through hard wood.

Saws of this size (592xp) are used to take down big trees (guys out west use them on Redwoods) and buck big timber and manage 36" bars. Don't get me wrong-it's an amazing 90cc saw and I wouldn't mind owning one- but I've yet to encounter many situations where I need something like that.

Sounds like overkill in your application. Put a full comp chain on it and save it for the larger wood. On 16" stuff or less I'll often use my 50cc. Less weight= less fatigue.
572 are good all around saw ,👍

Tried searching for that channel but nothing popped up.

Found GOT using a 592xp on some Redwoods though:

Look up Bjarne Butler, he’s the real deal, he uses a 572 , 36” bar for big , Doug Fur , and Cedar , Hemlock and a 592 to ,

Latest posts

Back