8ten chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamT1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Went to order my yearly supply today. I bought a 100’ of 3/8 .050 full chisel 8ten chain. It was pretty cheap like $225. I need to order a .058 and .063 roll, but didn’t want to order something I hadn’t experienced. Been running archer a lot, but it’s $100 higher.
Anyone run this stuff?

I bought a two pack of the 20 inch and after about 15 cuts the chain broke on me. It could have been a fluke but this has never happened to me. I was going to put the other one on but didn’t bother because I needed to get stuff done and didn’t want it to happen again. I grabbed another saw instead. When I do put the other chain on I will report back.

Never heard of it. Where are you getting it? How does it file? How soft is it.

This came from Amazon.
I’ve not laid eyes on it yet. I think it will be here Friday. Had to get my bars off eBay.

I kinda like hard chain like Stihl, but I’ve had great luck with archer that’s pretty soft. The stihl can handle a dip in dirt maybe twice a cord where archer is done when it hits anything.
Oregon used to be my favorite, but last I bought about 2015 was junk. I haven’t tried it again. Maybe was just a bad batch, but hate to buy a loop since they are so high.

I had to buy my bars off eBay this year. The price is up pretty good from last year and they were harder to find. Tsumura bars. About 25% increase in price. Think woods going to go up $20 a cord, but should probably be more like $50 up. I’m still filling last seasons orders so running old price for now.

Went to order my yearly supply today. I bought a 100’ of 3/8 .050 full chisel 8ten chain. It was pretty cheap like $225. I need to order a .058 and .063 roll, but didn’t want to order something I hadn’t experienced. Been running archer a lot, but it’s $100 higher.
Anyone run this stuff?
Keyword = CHEAP. You get what you pay for is an old American phrase that will never expire. Minor Karnes and his Family are the distributors for the Archer products. Never an issue with anything Archer........however, there will certainly be 1 guy who wants to shoot it down. Go with the informed majority. By the way, IF you have an Archer product fail, they replace it without question, or charge.

This came from Amazon.
I’ve not laid eyes on it yet. I think it will be here Friday. Had to get my bars off eBay.

I kinda like hard chain like Stihl, but I’ve had great luck with archer that’s pretty soft. The stihl can handle a dip in dirt maybe twice a cord where archer is done when it hits anything.
Oregon used to be my favorite, but last I bought about 2015 was junk. I haven’t tried it again. Maybe was just a bad batch, but hate to buy a loop since they are so high.

I had to buy my bars off eBay this year. The price is up pretty good from last year and they were harder to find. Tsumura bars. About 25% increase in price. Think woods going to go up $20 a cord, but should probably be more like $50 up. I’m still filling last seasons orders so running old price for now.
Your wood customers will cheerfully pay more. Its the cost of doing business. Stihl chains are twice the quality, and twice the cost. Oregon makes chain for several mfgers. Its top-shelf as well.
Never heard of it. Where are you getting it? How does it file? How soft is it.
We thankfully have a supporting sponsor who will be glad to answer all your inquiries RE: chinese products. Go ask hipa store all about the chain that they import. You might just get an answer.

8ten is a chinese product. Thats NOT a criticism. Thats a fact. It is made from scrapped metal, is not hardened, and gives production firewood guys a real bang for the buck.......just wear those chaps, chaps.

8ten is a chinese product. Thats NOT a criticism. Thats a fact. It is made from scrapped metal, is not hardened, and gives production firewood guys a real bang for the buck.......just wear those chaps, chaps.
You realize anything made from steel is probably made from something that scrap at some point right how it’s alloyed will define how it can be heat treated. I have some steel here that was made in Canada who knows how long ago and it is pretty clean stuff but even modern Canadian and American steel is full of impurities.

I thought the archer was china too? I didn’t like it first time I tried it, but after you sharpen them a couple times they get narrower and cut nice and fast.
Only complaint with archer is usually a new chain jumps off the sproket the first time you run it. Put it back on and it never happens again. Kinda odd.

You realize anything made from steel is probably made from something that scrap at some point right how it’s alloyed will define how it can be heat treated. I have some steel here that was made in Canada who knows how long ago and it is pretty clean stuff but even modern Canadian and American steel is full of impurities.

I have read some time ago how at least some "Made in Canada" steel beams etc. were actually made in China but somehow ended up being sold as Canadian.
Maybe someone here has more details on that, and please correct me if it's no longer the case?

I have read some time ago how at least some "Made in Canada" steel beams etc. were actually made in China but somehow ended up being sold as Canadian.
Maybe someone here has more details on that, and please correct me if it's no longer the case?
Idk about beams but a lot of parts for cars are actually made in Mexico shipped up here and inspected then if they pass they are stamped made in Canada. When I’m welding new steel you can see the difference in the slag pool.

I thought the archer was china too? I didn’t like it first time I tried it, but after you sharpen them a couple times they get narrower and cut nice and fast.
Only complaint with archer is usually a new chain jumps off the sproket the first time you run it. Put it back on and it never happens again. Kinda odd.
Archer is made in China too for the Aussie's. They took down their old video and put a new one up for 2020 showing the China plant.

Right in video = ARCHER is a 100% Australian owned China based Manufacturing and Trading company

Archer is made in China too for the Aussie's. They took down their old video and put a new one up for 2020 showing the China plant.

Right in video = ARCHER is a 100% Australian owned China based Manufacturing and Trading company

I’ve been really happy with the archer. But the rolls have doubled in price since I first tried it. I haven’t priced a roll of stihl chain yet, but I made 6 Loups Monday and finished off a roll. That will last me a month probably so I can decide what to do then.

I ran some 8 ten yesterday. The factory edge is sharp and made a full cord (good for me). Would give a stihl chain a run for its money speed wise. I did have to stop and tighten the chains twice in initial run. If they pick up speed and hold an edge after I sharpen they will be good, I’ll put a huge gullet in and sharpen on 20* . Will see if they have stretched in, if not they are gonna be wrapped around a tree, odd for me to adjust one twice.

I was a little nervous about the drivers being totally smooth. No oil hole or groove, maybe that’s just a gimmic. I was cutting bone dry wood using generic oil and didn’t notice any abnormal heat. You have to pay attention when riveting them together. Rivets feel very soft and it’s easier to lock the link down than normal.
Tie strap may be a little wider than stihl or archer, I kinda have a mark in my head where the riveter needs to be when done.

I've run a few of the various china chains. I know I have run the 8ten but don't remember anything special about it.

My experience is that usually the cutters are decent, but the rest of the chain is soft. Stretches a lot, and the drivers will deform easily. The worst I've used was the Jeromy Well "Longer" chain, which is a great name for it because that chain never stops stretching.

The best china chain I've used, and actually my go to chain now is the Holzfforma chain.

As hard as the globalist try, they can’t get away from human labor. Even if it is Slave labor.
My advice is to buy what you need to provide for your family…regardless where it comes from. For work…buy the best you can justify and afford.
Be safe out there!!

Latest posts

Back