9 pin on a hardnose

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrygrey382

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So thinking about ordering a 9 pin from Madsens for my 076 - want to have a little fun with 111cc's - it's just a little slow in the small stuff at the mo. I've got a 25" hardnose, if I put a 9 pin on it and 36RSC will this be a recipe for turbocharged chain ware or chain throwing? And is this bar too long for a 9 pin on a stock 076? Compression is 150 with possible tired rings...

And how small a bar would I need to go for a 9 pin on an 038M with muffler mod?

I'd think you'd be fine with the big Stihl, if you are within factory RPM range. The chain wasn't moving all that fast in the first place, so I wouldn't think that a 12% increase in speed would change it into a chain-pitching monster. I'd still prefer sprocket nose over hard nose in any case, though, considering that the hardnose offers no identifiable benefits in 99.99% of cutting tasks.

The 038 has no business with a 9t sprocket unless it's been worked over and turned into something that the factory wouldn't even recognize as an 038.

I'd think you'd be fine with the big Stihl, if you are within factory RPM range. The chain wasn't moving all that fast in the first place, so I wouldn't think that a 12% increase in speed would change it into a chain-pitching monster. I'd still prefer sprocket nose over hard nose in any case, though, considering that the hardnose offers no identifiable benefits in 99.99% of cutting tasks.

The 038 has no business with a 9t sprocket unless it's been worked over and turned into something that the factory wouldn't even recognize as an 038.
thanks, only got the 25" cos it came with it and can't justify buying another. So would 9 pin even be noticeably quicker than an 8 in this case?

Latest posts

Back