9010 no compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuttinscott

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here is a customers 9010, said it was running funny wanted a new 20" bar and chain but wanted to keep his 36" for a dooryard maples. I think it might of got a weee bit hot. I know the cause anyone care to venture what happened??

Scott

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This was actually about 2 1/2 tanks of straight gas.... thats why there is sooo much aluminum in the crankcase..

New Piston and Cylinder, Crank & Bearings, Gaskets and Seals, And of course a new batch of Dolmar 50-1 premix and she will be as good as new.

Scott

wow,that is the most pulverized saw I have ever seen,it lasted 2 1/2 tanks on straight gas,an impressive stress test!!

How did everyone guess straight gas without seeing the intake side of the cylinder or the intake side of the piston?

Straight gas was a good guess, but without seeing the intake side of the piston or cylinder, a lean carb could have caused that, as well as bad seals, bad base gasket, etc.

Lots of aluminum in the bottom end, though. Haven't seen one eaten up that bad.

Scott, did it blue the rod at all? hard to tell with the aluminized protector covering it...lol
Was the Crank seized?

EDIT: I see the intake side of the piston in the pic with the exh side of the cylinder.

Last edited:
I am astounded that the saw ran that long on straight gas!!!! That is a well built saw I must say!!!! More props to Dolmar!
Andy

sedanman said:
You mean, props to Solo. Dolmar buys that saw, they don't make it.

I Think You Have That Backwards Sedanman.... Ever see a Sachs-Dolmar 134 which evolved to the Dolmar 9000 and now the 9010

Scott

cuttinscott said:
parts approx $415. and a hour labor

New saw $899.00

Scott

1 hour labor? you give your time away far too readily... You already have 10-15 minutes plus/minus in it!;)

I just did a similar thing on a clean MS660 - It was close to 2 hours... and then I messed with it for another 30 minutes etc.. (pressure test, check the carb, test running.. etc..) just to be sure..

Last edited:
I could be wrong, I have never had a 9010 apart to see if there were any logo stamps on the parts. I do know that Dolmar buys powerheads for the string trimmers, I didn't think it would be a stretch to buy a saw.

Freakingstang said:
How did everyone guess straight gas without seeing the intake side of the cylinder or the intake side of the piston?

Straight gas was a good guess, but without seeing the intake side of the piston or cylinder, a lean carb could have caused that, as well as bad seals, bad base gasket, etc.

Lots of aluminum in the bottom end, though. Haven't seen one eaten up that bad.

Scott, did it blue the rod at all? hard to tell with the aluminized protector covering it...lol
Was the Crank seized?

EDIT: I see the intake side of the piston in the pic with the exh side of the cylinder.

no this saw did not sieze, the crankcase and crank are loaded with aluminum from the piston I will not chance the main bearings or the crank for reuse. It will get a new crank, bearings piston & cylinder and will be like new this is a low hour saw and is worth the rebuild.

Scott

Lakeside53 said:
1 hour labor? you give your time away far too readily... You already have 10-15 minutes plus/minus in it!;)

I just did a similar thing on a clean MS660 - It was close to 2 hours... and then I messed with it for another 30 minutes etc.. (pressure test, check the carb, test running.. etc..) just to be sure..

Well what can I say im good to my CUSTOMERS :biggrinbounce2:

Scott

Latest posts

Back