909G ignition problem, need guidance (vid).

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Teddy.Scout

Any help would be grateful!
Don't know were to start!
Know a couple here have dug into them.
Thanks guys!

Vid below. (also all the parts are there!!)

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RzP67sG3P9A?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RzP67sG3P9A?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

I agree with condenser. Do you know how to test one with a sweep,not digital, ohm meter? I couldnt tell in the video but is the windings damaged on coil? Do you have another saw with same ignition that you could "borrow"parts from to make spark.:smile2:

Replace the condenser, that may do it.

Just got one coming! A+

I agree with condenser. Do you know how to test one with a sweep,not digital, ohm meter? I couldnt tell in the video but is the windings damaged on coil? Do you have another saw with same ignition that you could "borrow"parts from to make spark.:smile2:

The top of the coil is chipped up.
Will try to epoxy it up.
Also taking picks now for you guys to look at a bit closer.

Thanks guys!!!!

As long as the windings arent exposed Im thinking it will be ok. You could put an ohm meter to it and make sure it has continuity. :)

Okay here's the pics of the top of the coil.
It does look as though some crud got in and around the windings.
Before I repair the coil, how should I clean around the area.
Is it even fixable? If so, what would be the best epoxy?

Thanks guys!

CIMG3580.jpg

CIMG3581.jpg

CIMG3582.jpg

I would clean it off with compressed air, clean it again with electronic coil cleaner(not A/C coil cleaner), heat it up to around 100 F and seal the coil up with coil epoxy.

The coil cleaner and epoxy was availile through Radio shack at one time, do not know anymore.

Grainger also used to carry it.

Get the measurements and any name or numbers of the coil and source a replacement that is not damaged. You would have to pull the damage one off the frame and mount the new one. Some are cemented into place some are just wedged.

Last edited:
I would clean it off with compressed air, clean it again with electronic coil cleaner(not A/C coil cleaner), heat it up to around 100 F and seal the coil up with coil epoxy.

The coil cleaner and epoxy was availile through Radio shack at one time, do not know anymore.

Get the measurements and any name or numbers of the coil and source a replacement that is not damaged. You would have to pull the damage one off the frame and mount the new one. Some are cemented into place some are just wedged.

I agree with Justsaws. Be careful with the wires they are coated with some sort of shellac stuff. If you move them around Im sure that stuff will crack and cause a short. :msp_wink:

Do not damage the wires, just clean it up, remove any grease/oil and epoxy it back up, should have no problems. Don't scrub the coating off, actually it may not matter. Those wires induce the magnetic field, the center is where the voltage is made as it cuts the lines of the field. The coating is to protect the wires from damage, nothing more, the center is where it really happens.

I agree with Justsaws. Be careful with the wires they are coated with some sort of shellac stuff. If you move them around Im sure that stuff will crack and cause a short. :msp_wink:

It is a Repco coil. Will look further to see any numbers.
Hope it is some one still around or atleast info to cross reference.
Good heads up on the wires being coated! The damage looks some what new!
So a quick blast of air and wire cleaner before cementing, with my fingers crossed!!!!!
Will get the coil info up here in a touch for any help locating a replacement of any sort!!!!
Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not damage the wires, just clean it up, remove any grease/oil and epoxy it back up, should have no problems. Don't scrub the coating off, actually it may not matter. Those wires induce the magnetic field, the center is where the voltage is made as it cuts the lines of the field. The coating is to protect the wires from damage, nothing more, the center is where it really happens.

Working on it now!

Dumb question, can I use any condenser till the replacement comes?
Have a couple for 090's and large Mac's

Working on it now!

Dumb question, can I use any condenser till the replacement comes?
Have a couple for 090's and large Mac's

I dont see why you couldnt. I know they are rated for different voltages and such but if its from a similar magneto ignition I dont see why it wouldnt. I tried using one from an old car with 12 volt coil and it wouldnt work,so you couldnt do that.:smile2:

Hey Matt thats the same exact ignition setup as the C series saws, XP series and 1050/1100/1130 saws have. Just clean up your coil, seal it up with some good epoxy and use a nova II module. You will never have to worry about it again. I have even been able to go as far as replacing the high tension lead and epoxing in a new one. If your fix does not work I have a nice one here I can send your way. :cheers:

DSC01202.jpg

DSC01203.jpg

You just made me my night!
WOW!
I have limited knowledge, well actually none! To the Homey ignition systems!
Will fix the coil, install the condenser I believe is correct and touch back to see were I am.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rock::rock::rock:

Latest posts

Back