Dropping a tree into a widowmaker (vid)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepyfz450

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
found this video on my phone from this past fall. Helping a buddy out clearing a hedgerow. he had a big rotten maple that had a large widowmaker hanging in it. I notched and backcut the widowmaker and then hit it with another tree to finish it off. you can see in the vid that the snag never did fall out but i didnt feel comfortable hammering wedges with it above my head.

Dont mind the commentary my buddy doesnt get out much.......lol

saw was a smittybilt husky 350.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pIMlNzoXZtE?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good job makin do with what you've got to work with. I've always had good luck putting trees where I want them (knock on wood). I've never had proper training on felling trees, just helped and watched others since I was a kid. I've also done a bunch of reading on the subject. If I don't feel comfortable with a tree, I walk away. Better to be safe than sorry!

Good job makin do with what you've got to work with. I've always had good luck putting trees where I want them (knock on wood). I've never had proper training on felling trees, just helped and watched others since I was a kid. I've also done a bunch of reading on the subject. If I don't feel comfortable with a tree, I walk away. Better to be safe than sorry!

yeah the original plan on this tree was to wait till we had the excavator on the hill to knock it down. Brett suggested i drop a tree into the snag. well it worked out ok. I dropped 2 big oaks before these ones wish we took vids of these.

Ohh ok if you're ever in the Ithaca area again let me know we cut almost every weekend

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Been to Ithaca a few times and have some friends that live there. I'm in Bristol on the west side of canandaigua lake
I grew up in Oneida but spent some time in Ovid.
Lived between a church and a bar.
Across from the mental hospital.
Worked Special Weapons at Seneca Army Depot.
Rebuild and demilitarize.

I can't get the video to play past 5 seconds for some reason. Tried last night and now today. :dizzy:

Finally got it to work using a different browser. Don't know why chrome wouldn't play it.

Finish
I grew up in Oneida but spent some time in Ovid.
Lived between a church and a bar.
Across from the mental hospital.
Worked Special Weapons at Seneca Army Depot.
Rebuild and demilitarize.
Finishing up a project at Romulus school right now. Been going into Ovid for lunch, only close town to eat at. I drive by the army depot a lot, that place amazes me. It's quit big. I looked at satellite photos of it on the iNteRwEb. The place is just huge. The navy owns it now I think but it's for sale.

Finish

Finishing up a project at Romulus school right now. Been going into Ovid for lunch, only close town to eat at. I drive by the army depot a lot, that place amazes me. It's quit big. I looked at satellite photos of it on the iNteRwEb. The place is just huge. The navy owns it now I think but it's for sale.
Largest white deer herd in the world. Not albinos.
In its day the X-Area was 600 acres. Second largest Special Weapons storage area in the free world.
Amazing storage area for machine tools too

Huge machine shop for BIG stuff.
Cold War era. Just in case.
You drove thru the warehouses in a truck.
Stockpiles of high grade ore. War payments from Russia.
Chromium at 94%. Manganese.
Strange place.

Back