962 efco

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i have an 962efco modified by dave niegra. enough power to pull 20 and 16in 3\8 chain very well. i really like what it does.
but i also like the 95vp chain. would like to convert to .325 sprocket for the 95vp.
does anyone have any idea what sprocket,and bar i could use to accomplish this change.if it can be done. i really love the fast smooth cut of the 95vp.
any help appreciated. thanks

Tony, I am not famiar with the EFCOs by number and they are not on Oregon's site. The Cub Cadet Commercial (EFCO) saws are listed and they use the 095 bar mount which just happens to be the same as the 112 Dolmar I just convertd to .325 pitch 95VP and a mirco light bar. The 095 mount is common to the Husky's which is nice as they are combos availible that save you a bit of change. Go to Oregons site and punch the selector guide tab, then professional use. The Husky model I used was 346XP. Look for the microlight bar/95VP combo in the length you desire, the number of drivers listed for the Husky's worked fine in my Dolmar but who knows on an EFCO?. If your EFCO has a rim clutch it is easy to get to .325 pitch by changing the rim. If you have a spur that might be a different story, make sure you can get the clutch to .325 pitch before ordering a bar/chain. I think the Cub Cadet saws sold at TSC are .325 eceot for the 57CC job, good luck.

thanks butch for the detailed post. im not in a hurry but will work at trying this out.it is rim not spur so ill get to it. thanks again. tony

For some reason Oregon never recommends larger than 7-pin sprockets with the 95VP chain, but I think that 62 cc saw need at least an 8-pin to take advantage of the saws power, maybe even 9-pin to take full advantage. If the spline on your saw will accept .325 7 and 8-pin, it will not accept the 9-pin. You will need a larger one.

I also like the 95VP and have played with the tought of trying it with 9-pin sprocket on the 361.
However, I have scrapped the project as another member here reported that the .325 Stihl RS was faster than 95VP on his stock Dolmar PS-5100, which has less power than both your Efco 962 and my Stihl MS361.

The point were the RS takes over as the faster .325 chain from the 95VP seem to be somewhere between the power level of the Husky 353 and the PS-5100.

I ran some 95VP, didn't like it. But the Stihl RS with its wider kerf seems to really throw the chips, at least on my modded 346's and 5100. I run .375 on my ehp 357, though. Only thing I don't like about the .325 is that there's so darned many cutters to file. I think skip would be better, even if it was slightly slower cutting.

rbtree said:
... Only thing I don't like about the .325 is that there's so darned many cutters to file. .....
The flip side is that they tend to cut faster than 3/8" as long as the cutters are the same, chain speed is the same, the saw has sufficient power, and chip clearance doesn't become a problem.

Back