a better way to grind stumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Totally Stumped

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Somewhere in all these posts, someone described their own technique for removing stumps with a small grinder and a chainsaw. They used the grinder to go around the stump, grinding the surrounding dirt and roots, and used the chainsaw to cut the stump into pieces. Anyone using this technique? Seems like it would be tough avoiding dirt and rocks with the chainsaw as you got down lower in your cuts. Any chainsaw recommendations for this type of work?
We have a Vermeer SC252 and Bluebird SG1314 handlebar type grinder. We use plywood shields and tarps to keep the chips contained but it is always a chore raking the chips, sometimes taking as long (or longer) as the actual grinding.
I hate raking chips! I'd rather carry a few chunks than rake a whole bunch of chips. We do a grind 'n go and try not to haul anything away. I guess I'd get into the hauling business if I cut up enough stumps. If someone knows of a better, faster way to get a stump out, let me know. Explosives are not an option...at least not for stumps.

Yeah i remember that Post Same guy that Hauls his brush on a cart and doesnt use a chipper. :blob2:

A lot of guys around here don't use chippers. Standard practice is to load a trailer as high as it will go, throw one Mexican with a big chainsaw on top, without any safety gear, and let him cut it up and make more room. Call it a Texas chipper. They load by hand, they unload by hand. Everything is done by hand and by big crews, 8-10 guys packed into one truck.

I wouldn't screw around with a chainsaw and a stump. Chainsaws get put away after the stump is ALAP. (Ask Butch, as low as possible).

Your saw will cut like crap as soon as it gets in the dirt. You'll put more wear n' tear on your saws engine thats trying to keep a dull chain cutting and you could increase your chances for kick back. Thanks!

Mike D.

Heres my stump grinding Rig.
http://arborist.************/attachment_20422.php

Nice looking outfit David. Do you primarily do land clearing or arbo work, or a pretty uniform mix?

Russ

I have been grinding stumps for over forty years and never clean up the chips. The first week I did stump grinding I cleaned up the chips and found out I wasn't making any money and it sure takes time to clean up. I probably have lost only one or two jobs in forty years because I won't clean up. There is no money in cleaning Up.

jokers said:
Nice looking outfit David. Do you primarily do land clearing or arbo work, or a pretty uniform mix?

Russ

Uniform Mix the Builder had left 5 Big Dead trees behind a new House that the home owner had to pay to have removed.That was last Thursday Friday we were removing a tree with a severe lean over 2 houses.

I have ground out the edges and sometimes if things aren't going well I have upon a rare occasion cut a portion of the middle out but 99 out of a 100 stumps it isn't worth the effort, chain wear, etc.

Does make cleanup a bit easier. I personally like hauling blocks more than chips and dirt. Both are easy with a wheel barrow though.

SilentElk said:
I personally like hauling blocks more than chips and dirt. Both are easy with a wheel barrow though.

I just Load it out with the Bobcat No Problem. :blob2:

DDM said:
I just Load it out with the Bobcat No Problem. :blob2:

You aren't kidding! :p

BTW, wouldn't it be easier to just put a stump grinder on the bobcat instead of the tow behind? I know it's one of those things where you already own the tow behind so why buy yet another peice of equipment but just curious.

Some Stumps I just grind with the grinder hooked up to the truck. That would be kinda tough if i only had a bobcat Grinder. Plus That Deutz Diesel Has alot more torque than an attacthment grinder ever thought about having.

Stump Man said:
I probably have lost only one or two jobs in forty years because I won't clean up. There is no money in cleaning Up.

We always promote removing the debris following stump removal charging accordingly. It is just a matter of having the right tools for the job. :)

we clean up ,imo youv'e only done half a job if you leave a customer several cubic meters of stump chip ,i point out to my customers that there can be quite a lot of clearing /cleaning up after stump grinding ,i also explain that this is why i'm a bit dearer than the other quotes you probably got ,how ever if you do want to clear up your stump mess yourself i will adjust the bill accordingly....nothing worse imo a customer who didn't expect to get left with a truck load of grindings they can soon ruin a good reputation

A excavator or a rubber tired backhoe is the only way of getting rid of stumps even a 7000lb mini excavator can dig out a stump just takes some work.

The last option is pop it with some dynamite a 1/2 or full stick of 70% forcite should do it when its loose and broke up the excavator can remove it.

problem is old chap ,they won't allow me to keep or use dynamite,bloody spoil sport's the British governmant

Latest posts

Back