a better way to grind stumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pacific said:
A excavator or a rubber tired backhoe is the only way of getting rid of stumps even a 7000lb mini excavator can dig out a stump just takes some work..

Uh huh But then you have to haul in Dirt to fill the hole! :blob2:

If the home owner really wants they can call in a blasting contractor to come in and load the hole and blow the charge. The home owner can drill the holes with a auger bit.

Pacific said:
If the home owner really wants they can call in a blasting contractor to come in and load the hole and blow the charge. The home owner can drill the holes with a auger bit.

I'm thinking Grinding will be much more cost conservative.

Most of the time a excavation contractor can dig the stump out in a hour a rubber tired hoe would be 100-120 dollars. No one in this area grinds stumps because a backhoe or mini excavator can dig them out. The reason why someone wants a stump removed is its in the way of landscaping.

The ground and soil here is very rocky you can dig down 6 inches and you will hit football size to size of a car rocks. With tree stumps is the tree is sitting ontop of the rocky soil it would take those grinder teeth right off.

I was flush cutting a stump for a person it was about 30"s in diameter cutting 1/2 way through and the saw wasn't cutting anymore. Pull the saw out and the teeth were all chewed off its what the h*ll. I found out there was a hidden rock in buried in the middle of the stump.

Now when some one wants me to flush cut a stump its minimum 6" above the ground.

Year ago I had a friend give a hand dropping some nice 75' x 36" dia ash tree's whole into a feild. At the end of it I said "Pretty cool huh?" He merely replied, "It was ok I guess. Now what would have been cool is if youdragged afew sticks of dynamite up there and blew the top off. Now that would have been cool."

In hindsight, yeah that would have been real cool :p

Latest posts

Back